• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and GIGA3

Share/Bookmark

GPO and GIGA3

I am building a dedicated PC, which have all the required for GPO and it would be OK for GS3 too.
    Since nothing else will be on this machine but GPO, when I will receive my GS3, can I load this up on this machine and run either GPO or GS3? Two HD, one for samples only, plenty of room on them.
    Thanks

Ted

Re: GPO and GIGA3

Ted,

You can use GPO and GigaStudio on the same computer. However, the current GigaStudio 2.5 and Kontakt Player will compete for the same drivers on the same computer. I am hoping GS 3 will be friendlier when it comes to sharing resources. Here is the workaround for GS 2.5:

After you've installed GigaStudio, run it before running Cubase and disable outputs 1,2 in Giga (Cubase grabs these outs so if you leave them enabled it'll cause problems). Close Giga and run SX and disable whatever Giga outs you are using (3, 4?) so that each output pair is only assigned to one app. Now close Cubase and run Giga again, go to 'Setting Hardware' and set all midi inputs to 'None' then go to 'Settings General' and set Sequencer priority to about 5 and click apply, (you'll need to experiment with this). Now run Cubase, you should find 4 Giga midi ports available in SX and that should be it. If possible, use 3 HD's, 1 for system, 1 for Gigs and 1 for audio. Recording Giga back into Cubase depends on your audio card and you may need to wire outs 3, 4 to ins 1,2 or something. Otherwise you could use the Giga record feature and import the waves into SX.

On the
    RME Site there is technical information about using GSIF and ASIO simultaneously.

Perhaps GigaStudio 3.0 when released will work better, in the meantime you can implement the simple workaround.
    Gary Garritan

Re: GPO and GIGA3

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    I am building a dedicated PC, which have all the required for GPO and it would be OK for GS3 too.
    Since nothing else will be on this machine but GPO, when I will receive my GS3, can I load this up on this machine and run either GPO or GS3? Two HD, one for samples only, plenty of room on them.
    Thanks

Ted
    What you need to do is invest in another soundcard just to run Giga. Not a 'usb' or other interface, but a nice inexpensive PCI card to plug into your PC.

I would buy an ECHO MIA for the Giga, but the Terratec cards are the best for it and they are really inexpensive.

There are other cards you could use too, but that's my recommendation. Giga just needs it's own card by itself, nothing else using it. It still likes to grab on to your whole PC, so launch your sequencing app from within Giga.

Or maybe you should have invested in KONTAKT instead? (sorry!).

Talking Re: GPO and GIGA3

Thanks a lot. Because my "perfect" english, you missunderstood me and because of it, you are telling me that the two maybe running together at the same time?! I was just hoping that I can keep the two on the same PC and run either GPO or GS3. Special thanks to you Gary for taking the time for this. I have Cakewalk Home Studio not Cubase. Is this OK? I do not think, hearing some of the demos from GPO that I wish to ever run it with GS3. But I do have some instruments in GS160 now (amogst them your lite strings) which I love and would still want to use. Thanks again, and if you have other comments after this, I would be greatfull. My computer should be up in a few weeks and then I'll get my GPO.( I love Duncan's clarinet conc., that what made me decide. Of course I am not partial to Canadians, but he is GREAT!)

Ted

Go Back to forum