• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO suddenly dead in the water

Share/Bookmark

GPO suddenly dead in the water

I'm confused by this one - I have GPO, and have had no problems using it with my hw/sw config - winXP, m-audio firewire 410, midi-ox/midi yoke.

Today (with no change in drivers or config) loading the first sample crashes GPO. (This then locks up midi-ox.) *Before* I load a voice, I can see midi input to GPO with no problem - it is only when I try to select an instrument that the problem appears.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts - this is baffling.

Re: GPO suddenly dead in the water

Mr. Mo

This is strange. I wonder if this could be the Windows MIDI device limitation bug (yes Windows is not perfect ). Then again, there could configuration, IRQ issues or conflicts with the MIDI-ox drivers.

As a first step, try doing a system restore to bring the system back to a point before the problem happened. this may solve the problem.

If the problem still persists, I will refer the matter to our resident MIDI expert Jeff and you'll be up and running in no time.

Gary Garritan

First off, have you recently installed any software? Even the smallest most insignificant piece of software can make a difference.

You might try using system restore and go back to a point when GPO was working fine. That might work.

If not, a complete reinstall of GPO might be the answer.

Good luck.

rgb

Oh believe me, I *know* that Windows is imperfect. I've written software for it for years...

A restore to last Friday's checkpoint seems to have fixed this. But I didn't install anything new over the weekend, so this is pretty weird? I suppose that one of those automagic updates might have happened, although the only apps that I had used were mozilla and wmplayer. (I know, I know, take the DAW off the network!) Anyway, thanks for the quick response - if this happens again, I will try to doc more details.

For my own edification, which windows bug might have caused problems? If I run into problems, I can instrument appropriately...

Back to making music rather than screwing around with computers!!

- mo

You may want to look into a program that cleans off spyware such as Ad-Aware. Spyware can cause all sorts of strange issues. We've been having various issues with spyware including Internet Explorer access issues, network printing problems, strange toolbars added to programs, etc. at my work environment.

Gary and some of his "Mod Squad" know I went through a similar event with my system (windows XP pro) not too long ago. Running system restore brought back everything before the crash. Haydn's right in his advice to get yourself adaware or spybot installed. I installed spybot which I feel does a more thorough job than adaware and my system runs great now. I actually had a folder in the c drive that had both ready to be installed. Just click and it downloads from the site.
    Then again, if all fails, just get yourself on BFSH and GO NUTS!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mo
    I'm confused by this one - I have GPO, and have had no problems using it with my hw/sw config - winXP, m-audio firewire 410, midi-ox/midi yoke.

Today (with no change in drivers or config) loading the first sample crashes GPO. (This then locks up midi-ox.) *Before* I load a voice, I can see midi input to GPO with no problem - it is only when I try to select an instrument that the problem appears.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts - this is baffling.
    Welcome to the wild&wacky world of XP!! (this kind of c*ap rarely happened to me with 98ME!)

Go Back to forum