• Register
  • Help

Topic: SAM Horns Kontakt Import... is it better now?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy SAM Horns Kontakt Import... is it better now?

Hi,

Because I've been using GigaStudio lately, I ordered SAM Horns-Giga last week. It should be here tomorrow. This morning I started messing around and tried converting a few gigs into Kontakt 1.5.2 using CDXtract 4. It did a pretty good job.... so much so that I'm considering moving back to this sampler for good.

Now I'm wondering... should I have ordered the Kontakt version instead? It costs about two-thirds more but is 24-bit. Or... just convert the .gigs over and save the money? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jon

Re: SAM Horns Kontakt Import... is it better now?

Hi JWB,

SAM Horns is not 24-bit even in Kontakt. I believe that SAM's first 24-bit library will be the Solo Sessions library. Where did you order it from? On the Project SAM website, both versions are priced exactly the same.

Anyway, since you ordered the SAM Horns in GIGA format, give it a go with converting it yourself. If your conversion results aren't very good, try ordering the multi-format disc upgrade. For one license it is $43 US or €34 EURO. There is information on their website on how to upgrade. BTW, there is nothing wrong with the GIGA version. If you've been using GIGA lately, you may be happy with that.

FWIW, I don't find CDXtract's GIGA conversion to work well on everything. I've found times where the ModWheel crossfades weren't converted. To make it worse, the layer which holds the crossfade would not end up on the same group so it became extremely tedious to fix. The keyswitches generally convert fine but then, Kontakt 1.5.2 converts these fine also. I recommend going with Kontakt's own conversion initially to see how it does.

My guess is that you'll want to take advantage of the upgrade. The programming is all done for you and you don't have to go in after the fact to fix problems. Also, I believe that there is some programming that on this multi-format disc which is specific to Kontakt to take advantage of some features which Giga does not have. I couldn't tell you what though. I've been using the Kontakt version myself.

HTH,
    FV

p.s. - CDXtract is a great tool for converting other formats. I own and use both it and Translator. I've found that each has their own strengths. My comments towards it were only for the GIGA conversions. Others it does quite well.

Thumbs up Re: SAM Horns Kontakt Import... is it better now?

FV,

I guess I was given some wrong information. SAM Horns is in fact currently 16-bit for all formats. Thanks for the heads up! Also, thanks for the info on Kontakt's current import capability. One of the reasons I shelved Kontakt for a while was its mediocre import of GOS strings. This was with previous versions... not the current one. Last night I tried some conversions using the 1.5.2 upgrade and it did a great job with some Dan Dean KS instruments. I think now I've officially converted over (to Kontakt) myself!

Still, I'll probably stick with my giga order just in case GigaStudio 3 proves more to my liking. My whole library (except for piano & drums) is giga based.

BTW, I ordered from audiomidi.com...

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JWB
    BTW, I ordered from audiomidi.com...
    I can't find SAM horns on audiomidi.com....am I missing something?

Unhappy Re: SAM Horns Kontakt Import... is it better now?

No... I guess they removed it online because the item is currently backordered. I still haven't received it yet. Last Monday they called and said it would be a week so I'm hoping it arrives soon.

Here's the link that they price-matched with:
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...tml?sku=SAM001

They're out of stock to...

Jon

Angry Re: SAM Horns Kontakt Import... is it better now?

Update:

SAM Horns for Giga has been discontinued... Now they only plan to sell the "bundled" version with the added Solo French Horn. IMHO, it isn't worth the extra $50 they're adding to the original list price. I hate it when companies do this!

Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

King,

Thanks for the link... If I ordered through Project Sam, I'd have to pay $125 for they're remaining CDs, though it might come down according to the rep. My original ordered price was $79 locally. I'd pay $89, which was pretty much the standard before the bundle came around, but not $125.

Jon

Go Back to forum