• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Truly opposed to "globalization"?

Share/Bookmark

Truly opposed to "globalization"?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Are the standard opponents (Ralph Nader, Lori Wallach, etc) of "globalization" really opposed to it? It would appear that some of the most outspoken on the issue of organizations like the WTO and the proposed FTAA aren't actually opposed to it in principle. Rather than being opposed to the power such an unaccountable organization might wield, their real complaint is that they do not wield ENOUGH power! See the following article for details:

http://www.stoptheftaa.org/opposition/

Thank you.

Re: Truly opposed to "globalization"?

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    Are the standard opponents (Ralph Nader, Lori Wallach, etc) of "globalization" really opposed to it? It would appear that some of the most outspoken on the issue of organizations like the WTO and the proposed FTAA aren't actually opposed to it in principle. Rather than being opposed to the power such an unaccountable organization might wield, their real complaint is that they do not wield ENOUGH power! See the following article for details:

http://www.stoptheftaa.org/opposition/

Thank you.
    Brady,

How can they be against globilization when their knee jerk reaction to any foreign policy issue is to defer to the UN?

Wes

Yes, exactly. However, by "globalization", the "left" normally means "global capitalism", or transnational corporations. But obviously they have no problem whatsoever with global governance, and as the article points out, they don't even have problems with organizations like the WTO either so long as they have power over labor standards.

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    Brady,
    How can they be against globilization when their knee jerk reaction to any foreign policy issue is to defer to the UN?
    Wes
    Wes, globalization is not a term used to describe just any international entity. It is utilized to describe expanding corporate power that doesn't exist within a single country anymore but rather on a global scale.
    Nothing to do with the U.N.

A dear friend of mine, Ben Barber, wrote a #1 NY Times best seller: "Jihad against MacWorld" that takes a look at the 2 main antagonistic powers in the world right now: globalism and religious fondamentalists (mostly Islamic) and how they are at war with each other but also how, interestingly, they need each other to thrive.

I guess I should have put a smiley face by my first comment....I know the definition of "globalism" and its context in political discourse, but my point, (which Brady caught) was that if you expouse global governance, then how can you decry globalization? They are NOT necessarily diametrically opposed.

Right, the greater point here is that these people who claim they oppose things like the WTO aren't being totally honest. They act as though they oppose them because they'd wield too much power, but the reality is that they only oppose them because they don't wield ENOUGH power.

Right, the greater point here is that these people who claim they oppose things like the WTO aren't being totally honest. They act as though they oppose them because they'd wield too much power, but the reality is that they only oppose them because they don't wield ENOUGH power.
    Take a guy who just lost his manufacturing job after his company went overseas. I doubt that the average person in this position will be thinking about how the WTO needs more power. He'd more likely want more protectionism from his own country. But the WTO disallows many forms of protectionism by soverign nations.

I'm not debating whether protectionism is good or bad. I'm just presenting a possible anti-globalism perspective.

As an interesting anecdote:

During Clinton's inauguration in 1993, one high-level Clinton staff member turned to the other as the jets went over and said, "Boy, I really hate this kind of thing." And the other Clinton staff member said, "Well, remember those are our planes now. That's our Air Force now."

George Carlin also points out that human nature makes us think, "Your stuff is sh*t, my sh*t is stuff".

Question Re: Truly opposed to "globalization"?

Brady, Wes,

I am sorry that you feel that way about the U.N. The U.N. represents a Democracy of the World. A World Council where all people (sovereign nations) come together to exercise the same democratic principles that I believe also you cherish.

One nation - one vote. That is the deal. Except for the Superpowers that have veto. A legacy after WWII that have been exercised by the U.S. as well as the other superpowers.

I am curious what you really have against this kind of world body, as it represents democracy on a global level?

Hans Adamson

"I am curious what you really have against this kind of world body, as it represents democracy on a global level?"

It is supposed to of course in theory but in practice it can be as corrupt as our Federal government and as easily manipulated. I'm sure Brady can post a nice list of links to various U.N. abuses and agendas that many freedom loving folks would be horrified at.

Part of the problem is that this fanatical push towards "globalization/New World Order/Whatever you call it" is being crammed down our throats and pushed on most of us against our will by the elites of the world who don't tend to really care about us lowly "unwashed masses". Its a global chessboard and we are pawns. (Ok some of us are knights & rooks but still expendable)

With separate and soveriegn nations, we at least have the ability to leave a country (if we can get out) and go elsewhere if we are oppressed by the one we are in. If the entire globe becomes a giant oppressive plantation, there will be no place to go. That is what people fear the most about this agenda. They really don't trust the motives of the elites. Human history is nothing but one series of attrocities and abuses by governments & kings & bankers.
    Sorry but at this time, we don't really trust this agenda.

Cheers
    Dave

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast