• Register
  • Help

Topic: First GPO Piece - String Quartet

First GPO Piece - String Quartet

This is my first piece totally rendered with GPO. I call it a Canon, but if it is a canon, it's Pachelbel style. Some parts are even kind of reminiscent of Pachelbel's famous canon.

It's a bit rough. I don't have an external keyboard, so the mp3 doesn't use the MOD wheel, which takes away a lot of dynamics. I didn't spend too much time on it, but I am interested in any feedback. I usually don't compose this slower style of music.

Let me know what you think!

Wilton, NH

Re: First GPO Piece - String Quartet

Are you using a sequencer? Do you have a midi editor? You should go in and draw some mod-wheel info in to give it more dynamics. It occasionally sounds a little dead – the mod-wheel should help, as would varying the amount of velocity.

The beginning might be a little too reminiscence of Pachelbel, though you soon find your own voice.

The modulations to other keys seem a little abrupt for this style of music, particularly the one just before the 3-minute mark. You might want to write a little segment that leads into the key.

I’m not a great expert on these things (particularly in how to modulate to a new key in a piece written in an early Baroque style) and so hopefully somebody better qualified than I am can respond here.

Orcas Island

Re: First GPO Piece - String Quartet

For a first try with GPO and no keyboard you did a good job. Adding dynamic control with the keyboard controllers will add more expression.
    Although reminiscent of Pachelbel’s famous Canon in D, it is always good to learn from the masters and to emulate the best.

Thanks for sharing Sean's Canon!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum