• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Orchestral Demo - Mixed styles

Smile New Orchestral Demo - Mixed styles

Hey all...I just finished another cue for submission for a potential project that I wanted to share. This one was a real bear to finish. I had so much going on with the virtual synths, plug-ins (instrumental and effects), as well as live + synth...I didn't think my Dual G4 MAC was going to make it. My two G4 processors were maxing out almost the whole time recording and mixing. (Oh I am waiting for that Dual 3GHZ G5)

But I was a able to finish finally...I may still want to tweak the end a bit and clean the mix up...but for now I need to get my ears off of it for a day. Any comments are welcome.

Stylistically, it is kind of all over the place on purpose due this being a specific demo for a specific project.

http://www.brianralston.com/Music.html to go to the music page for Brianralston.com

It is in the Action Adventure section and is entitled. "Serenity Project".

Giga and VI Libraries used:

Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings
    Stormdrum (Both Intakt and Kompakt players - AU plugins)
    SAM Brass, and their free Timpani and Stomps
    Live electric guitar with Amplitube plugin in OSX
    Live Accoustic Guitar
    Live Fiddle
    UAD-1 plugins for effects and processing
    Quantum Leap Guitars
    Hardcore Bass (AU plugin)
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Re: New Orchestral Demo - Mixed styles

Hey, it sounds great!

Beginning it with a real instrument does wonder. And of course later the mixing of live and sampled instruments works very well. Nice slide guitar.
    I would suggest rising the level of the guitar solo and lowering the distorded chords a bit, they muddy things a bit up.
    I don´t like the horn rip at 1:48, it sounds too clichéed to me. To me it sounds "added" or alien.
    This is really the way to go, isn´t it? Putting in some real instruments really lets these sampled orchestras come to live.
    Good work.

- Mathis

Thank you for your comments & suggestions. When one has been listening to the same thing over and over again for a couple days, it all becomes a wash to my ears. Having an outside objective ear and some time away from it helps a lot. Thank you.

I have revised the guitar levels in the mix and have uploaded a new MP3 file with the revised mix. Good call.
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Yes, good mix now. The guitars sit perfectly in the mix.

Was the guitar in the last part there already before? I don´t remember that. It sounds very good that way.

Please tell about the project, I´m curious.

- M

Go Back to forum