• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help non GPO related

Share/Bookmark

Help non GPO related

My computer friend is not available for a week (out of town). I keep getting this email saying that I sent a bunch of mails to a ton of people I do not know and it was all denied or something and returned. Is this a virus???
    Nicole Davis

Re: Help non GPO related

Sounds like it to me. There are some free online virus programs available on the internet or you could download one that has a trial period to clean up the computer. Try Bitdefender or Panda Antivirus.

This is happening to a lot of us. While running an antivirus is important, I don't think you necessarily have to have a virus yourself for this to happen. A virus has stolen your address from someone (a friend's address book perhaps) and is using it to send the virus to others. Some of their antivirus programs are detecting it and returning it to the "sender" (you). Very disagreeable, but not much you can do except encourage all your friends to use an antivirus.

That's pretty common now, and the virus isn't on your machine. It's coming from someone else's address book, and it's unlikely you'll be able to trace whose. It usually stops after a few days...
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NeoDavinci
    That's pretty common now, and the virus isn't on your machine. It's coming from someone else's address book, and it's unlikely you'll be able to trace whose. It usually stops after a few days...
    Mark
    Thanks, I called my service provider just to be sure since the anti virus didnt pick up anything. They said they use dynamic IP or something and that the address changes? Whats that mean, I tried to get him to simplify what the heck he was talking about but he said something about it being safer. Oh he had me turn on the firewall as well.
    Nicole Davis

I had the same problem a while back. Microsoft turned on the firewall as well for me (which I understand you can't do yourself in XP) and installed spybot. No problems since. Knock on plastic. < There’s no wood here.
    I also called PC doctor here in the area. His advice was to put two aspirin in the rom drive and boot it back up in the morning. It was fine the next day.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    Thanks, I called my service provider just to be sure since the anti virus didnt pick up anything. They said they use dynamic IP or something and that the address changes? Whats that mean, I tried to get him to simplify what the heck he was talking about but he said something about it being safer. Oh he had me turn on the firewall as well.
    Typically, a service provider wouldn't provide virus protection, only an internet connection. As for "dynamic IP", he's saying that the ID for your computer changes, so if someone was controlling your computer remotely, they'd lose control when the IP changed. The other option is a "static IP". If you wanted to use your computer remotely, you'd need to know what the IP was. This, of course, had squat to do with your actual problem, but that's what he was saying.
    Mark

Hi Nicole,

I agree with everybody here. Congrats, you're dealing with a virus!

Just a little technical insight, I'll try to be not too boring:

When you connect to the internet, your sevice provider asign an identification number to you: your IP address. This address is different each time you connect to the internet, here it comes the term dynamic IP. This IP address functions like your telephone number. It allows other machines to reach yours to send web pages, for example.

Your provider tells you this, but this information doesn't tell us too much about the problem, or about how well protected you are against virus.

This is what I think.

a) If you are using Outlook or some other mail client. Then, probably you have a virus in your machine. This virus is sending out mails in the background to random addresses based on your address book.

b) If you use web mail. Then the virus is not in your machine. It is in your server's machine !!! This is, in HotMail's, or MixMail's or whoever mail provider you use, so you don't have a problem. They have a problem.

If you find yourself in case a) then you'll need to do some cleaning. Get an antivirus (recommended free AVG antivirus). Get a firewall (recommended free ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall). And finally, get Ad-aware. This last is like a specialized antivirus. It searches for and removes tracking software.

Tracking software are small programs which get installed in your PC while you are surfing the net. You can't notice them, but they manage to send out your IP address (remember this one?) to other machines in order to keep your machine under control.

Hope I have clafiied something.

Best of lucks!

Anton

Hey! just one more thing: Before doing anything in your PC. Burn a CD with your data. Always make a backup before PC management operations, specially if you know you have a virus in it.

Quote Originally Posted by galvedro
    a) If you are using Outlook or some other mail client. Then, probably you have a virus in your machine. This virus is sending out mails in the background to random addresses based on your address book.
    b) If you use web mail. Then the virus is not in your machine. It is in your server's machine !!! This is, in HotMail's, or MixMail's or whoever mail provider you use, so you don't have a problem. They have a problem.
    Hi Nicole,
    One more comment just so you don't get freaked out by the quote above. Most of the time, the experience you are describing doesn't fall into either of the categories above. It is extremely improbable that a virus in your machine is causing this. Usually a friend who has your address in their address book has the virus, and it sends the messages from their computer, but using your address in the return header. That way, when the messages bounce, you get them. If you had the virus, everyone in your address book would be getting bounced messages--not you.
    Mark

I doubt that the virus is on your machine. My internet provider, Cox, just started doing scanning on their systems. It is bouncing back all sorts of these kinds of things which I know my system is not sending. I've got a firewall, virus scanning on my outgoing email which pops up when an email is sent. I also scan my machine on a regular basis with the latest virus definition files. I scan for spyware on a regular basis. Always keep the latest Microsoft critical security patches up to date. My virus scanner and Cox constantly catch virus attachments in email which are always cleaned but I still get the undelivarable mails. These go in spurts and just in the last few days they've started up again. I know my machine is clean and I'm not sending them.

Go Back to forum