• Register
  • Help

Topic: 22% CPU Use with 2 Reverbs?

Share/Bookmark

22% CPU Use with 2 Reverbs?

Hi All,

Specs: PIII 1 GHZ, 512 MB ECC RAM, Dedicated Ultra 20 Gig. Get a lot of load at only 2 verbs, is this normal?

Use a DUAL HEAD setting (2 monitors) when I go to monitor 2, clicks happen caused by the mouse movement, normal to?

Thanks,
    PDG

Re: 22% CPU Use with 2 Reverbs?

I would say yes, 22% CPU is possible with two verbs although it sounds high. What does your CPU indicator show with no effects loaded? Are you running other programs in the background? Do you need two reverbs or can you get by with just one loaded on the Aux buss?

Sorry, can\'t address the monitor issue but do know that the problem you describe is definitely not normal. Nemesys was running a 2-monitor setup at NAMM a couple of years ago with no problems.

Doug Marshall

[This message has been edited by Doug Marshall (edited 01-12-2002).]

Hi

I would say depending on the reverb YES. It sounds normal. Some reverbs have more complicated Algorythms than others. Some sequencers handle CPU usage better than others. So there is not an exact pinpoint in knowing, but my bet would be that If you run 2 reverbs it would take up around that much. Other reverbs that come with the sequencing software take up less CPU usage, but then they are not the best except Digital Performer with the Altiverb plug in.

I have a P3 1 Gig

I found that loading in Cakewalk\'s Reverbs around 2 verbs takes 18-25%. When I load in Waves Renaissance. Just testing with tw0 verbs I get between 55-65% CPU used.

I also have an older P3 450, and just wanted to see how much it would read with a Wave Reverb In Cakewalk 9. One reverb at 85% CPU used.

This is just my own little test!

Is this a Windows resource meter or the CPU meter in GS? I\'ve learned to ignore the one in GS. I get 60% cpu usage with nothing open, just GS. When I run a midi file through GM500, I get peaks of 700-800% CPU usage. I think it should be lower, I\'m running an Athlon 1600+ (OC\'d to 1700+.) No clicks or pops or anything, just music.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SOD213:
    Is this a Windows resource meter or the CPU meter in GS? I\'ve learned to ignore the one in GS. I get 60% cpu usage with nothing open, just GS. When I run a midi file through GM500, I get peaks of 700-800% CPU usage. I think it should be lower, I\'m running an Athlon 1600+ (OC\'d to 1700+.) No clicks or pops or anything, just music. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the miscalibration of the CPU meter is a known issue with faster Athlons. I think they\'re working to correct that.

With my PIII 700 MHZ Gigastudio CPU meter
    shows about 4% of CPU to launch GSt.
    Each NFX verb takes about 6% of CPU.

So, with two verbs cpu is about 15-16%!
    For I Ghz PIII 22% seems quite high !

I have noticed that SBLive eith DirextX
    takes only 1% to launch, but my Delta Dio 2496 (GSIF driver) is 3-4%!
    GSIF driver uses much more CPU!?

marco, maybe GSIF uses more CPU - maybe it\'s just another bug in the CPU measurement. 1%, 4% - who cares.

Go Back to forum