• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How are you using your sequencer?

Share/Bookmark

How are you using your sequencer?

Really, in what way do you use your sequencer to compose your music? Do you write in notational software then export it to your sequencer? If so, how is that accomplished? I was trying to sequence the other night and became frustrated, well, at the metronome of all things. I was trying to play in a 3 against 2 rhythms on the snare with accents in other percussion instruments and it just would not track even after slowing the tempo. So, this led me to believe that I should copy what I wrote, into Overture first, then export to Cubases SE, right?
    Tanks.

And another thing. What kind of potatos have ears?
    Styxx

Re: How are you using your sequencer?

For my Debussy orchestration a while back, I played everything in on my keyboard, except for one small part. My keyboard skills just were not up to playing a certain passage involving harp and celesta, so I wrote a small Finale file for just those two parts for a few measures, saved it as a MIDI file, and pasted it in.

For my current project (nearly done! arrgh!), I had already written the piece in Finale, so I saved it as a MIDI file, opened it in Sonar, and have been editing the bejeezus out of it ever since. (I ran off a test CD this morning and have been listening to it all day. A few minor tweaks are needed, but it's nearly there.)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    For my Debussy orchestration a while back, I played everything in on my keyboard, except for one small part. My keyboard skills just were not up to playing a certain passage involving harp and celesta, so I wrote a small Finale file for just those two parts for a few measures, saved it as a MIDI file, and pasted it in.
    Did you use the mod wheel while playing to add expression, or modulation and/or volume data were manually added in Sonar?

Thank you,
    Chin@

Styxx, I do the same as danpowers, utilizing Finale to compose the music and then open the MIDI file in DP. However, every project begins with pencil and paper. Once I've figured out the themes or motives, done some counterpoint sketches, figured out the orchestration, I open Finale. It works better for me when I'm creating the score to be able to see the notes on the staff, see what everyone is doing. DP does have a notation view, but it just isn't as effective for me as using Finale. It's good for quick reference, but...I don't know, it's just icky. Maybe I'm just not as patient with that feature as I should be. But I digress! I usually end up maxing out Finale's MIDI capabilities so quickly that now I just use it for the notation and won't bother doing any MIDI editing at all. Once I get everything relatively in place, I usually have a pretty clear picture of what I want to do, and the MIDI editing begins, although painstaking and detailed. I always keep a printed copy of the score handy, and keep track my edits, so that--godforbid I actually get a live group--the copying isn't as much of an issue.

I was remarking to a friend about the difference between editing MIDI, with the notes and the velocities, and various controllers, and things of that nature, versus a whole note marked "tr#" with a crescendo under it. All the while thinking, I go to a lot of trouble...It's just so worth it, though. It's like, You're a musician; what instrument do you play? Oh, I play the orchestra.

I was just messing around with Overture trying to figure out why all the instruments in an Orchestra score are all screwed up. Somehow I am not loading the GPO studio the same as the Overture instrument score for full orchestra. Kind of frustrating knowing you just don't understand how this all works. My one in only piece I did when I first tried GPO was all played into the sequencer live. I did not edit a thing and that is obvious when you hear it. I haven't been able to work on anything else of my own since. The first time I used Overture it worked fine but I'll be damned if I knew how. I'm trying to use Overture to do the score for The Sound of Music and I am having quite a bit of trouble lining up the instruments with studio.
    Maybe I would be better off with Finale? Seems as if there are plenty of people who use it successfully like yourself. Have you ever compared the two and if so what were your conclusions?
    Styxx

[QUOTE=Chinablu]Did you use the mod wheel while playing to add expression, or modulation and/or volume data were manually added in Sonar?
    [QUOTE]
    I started out by using the mod wheel while playing, but since I always went back and edited it, it seems simpler for me to just play it in and then go back and draw mod wheel data. Maybe that will change with practice.

Like jmc, I almost always have a written score in some form (either Finale or pencil and paper) before I start sequencing.

Sal, I love working with Finale, and I'd have no problem recommending it to you. I'd caution you that it's a very deep and complex program, and if you are interested in it, you'd better plan on putting in some time with it. Once you learn it, though, you probably won't ever find a notational situation it can't handle.

As far as comparing it with Overture goes, I'm afraid I can't help. I haven't used Overture, and never even bothered to install it from the GPO disks. Sorry.

(Hey, my GOS arrived today! Yippee! )

(Hey, my GOS arrived today! Yippee! )
    Hey is that the full version of Lite the less filling version? I have had GOS lite for some time now but can't use it without Giga or full Kontakt player none of which I can afford right now.
    Let me know how it works out?
    Styxx

Hi Styxx,

I've been able to successfully use Overture with GPO studio with a large number of instruments. What specifically are the steps you are following to set everything up?

Rich
    Richard Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by RichG
    Hi Styxx,

I've been able to successfully use Overture with GPO studio with a large number of instruments. What specifically are the steps you are following to set everything up?

Rich
    In a nutshell, it's loading up the instruments for an orchestra score. They don't line up.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum