• Register
  • Help

Topic: You Must see this!!!

Share/Bookmark

You Must see this!!!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    miserable failure

Type the above in the Google search box...trust me...

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: You Must see this!!!

This isn't the first time Google has done something like this. I'm now convinced they're doing this on purpose. There is no occurrance of the word "miserable" anywhere on the first page returned.

While I agree with this take on George Bush, I think it's something of a misuse of one's position to manipulate a search engine this way. But, alas, it is their right, and I fully support that. But I can imagine a clever use of this influence to remove from their database any pages that support a view with which they disagree thereby artificially slanting things in favor of their ideology. For instance, they could remove, or simply redistribute to the end of the list, any pages that might contain facts contrary to what they want to promote, so that someone doing research on that topic will get only the information they want them to get.

While it's their right to do this as owners of the search engine and I support that right, I think it would constitute an unethical abuse of their position.

It's not Google that does this. The problem is that Google indexes pages not only according to the words contained therein, but also by what web pages link TO them. This is poses an opportunity for third parties to control the results of specific searches. In this case, someone set up a bunch of web pages with the words "miserable failure" with each page containing a link to this bio of George Bush. The same thing has been done by Kerry haters. Try entering "waffles" in Google and you'll see what I mean.

Further evidence that some people just have too much time on their hands...

Interesting... Well, perhaps that explains it then.

But while we're on the subject, imagine the power that could be had by subtly and secretly manipulating a search engine database? I hadn't thought about it before this thread, but that's an interesting possibility to consider.

Most likely it's a result of what's come to be known as "Google bombing."
    In what started out as a practical joke, bloggers have figured out how to manipulate Google's ranking system. Kind of fascinating, really.

"moron" works too.

I typed in "idiot" and was relieved that my name didn't show up!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    Interesting... Well, perhaps that explains it then.

But while we're on the subject, imagine the power that could be had by subtly and secretly manipulating a search engine database? I hadn't thought about it before this thread, but that's an interesting possibility to consider.
    There have been lawsuits relating to this subject. There was one regarding yahoo and backdoor payments. I think that's been solved with the "sponsored links" solution.

Here's a link to an article about Google bombing:http://www.thestatesman.net/page.new...ess=1&id=45192

Go Back to forum