• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trumpet low range

Share/Bookmark

Trumpet low range

I notice that the range of the trumpet as depicted on the keyboard only goes down to the F# below middle C when is reality trumpets can play down to the E below that. What can I do to get those bottom two notes? (Also, the bottom end of the F horn appears to be 3 notes short.) Trombones are OK.

Re: Trumpet low range

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Gilbert
    I notice that the range of the trumpet as depicted on the keyboard only goes down to the F# below middle C when is reality trumpets can play down to the E below that. What can I do to get those bottom two notes? (Also, the bottom end of the F horn appears to be 3 notes short.) Trombones are OK.
    Walter, it must have been a C trumpet sample, which would stop at F#.

While we're at it, solo tuba 1 has that blatty, closed-throat east euro tone that tubists try not to emulate. I don't ever use it except when absolutely necessary.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

This came up in the past regarding trombone ranges. Look for Tom Hopkins post in this thread. He describes a work-around to get those few extra notes.

Jeff

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...xtending+Range

Walter,

“C” trumpets are the most commonly used orchestral trumpets and that’s what the main trumpets are in GPO. Their range is correctly extended to the F#. Bb trumpets will be represented in the Jazz add-on and their range, of course, will extend to the E. The french horns were extended as far as the recorded samples allowed with satisfactory results. If the very bottom samples of the instrument were deemed unsatisfactory they were not used. Actually, that goes for any samples in any range. We even had entire instruments that didn’t make the cut. There was a certain standard of quality that we tried to maintain and if that meant dropping a poorly played note at the bottom of an instrument’s range, we did. Most of the poorly played notes from the original recording sessions were at the extremes of an instrument’s range. Those are typically the most difficult to play with clear tone and security, even for excellent players. Low notes, specifically, are hard to hold steady with centered pitch. While I’m on the subject, sampling sessions are also the most grueling jobs imaginable for the player and can kill the stamina of almost any brass musician. I remember doing my first sampling session in 1988 (on trumpet) when I was a full-time player and I left that job 4 hours later feeling like I’d just been hit by a Boeing 747. “OK, let’s try to get a little cleaner attack on that high F and hold the note as long and steady as you can. One more time, double forte.” Yeah, one more time . . .

The GPO player does not provide editing tools for extending the range of instruments but if you happen to have the full version of Kontakt you can easily “stretch” the range of any instrument you like. The success of the stretch can vary from OK to hideous depending upon the sample you are stretching. We made judgement calls on “stretching” during development but, with Kontakt, the user can choose to override those decisions.

Tom

As an aside...

For brass instruments, a good ballpark figure is to start with the fundamental/tonic/key of the instrument (e.g. Bb), take it down a tritone (e.g. E) and you got the low end of the range. It's possible to "lip" the sound down another half step sometimes (with poor projection, mind), and you can do blatty pedal-tones an octave below the fundamental if you're feeling naughty.

And yeah, I can see the confusion between C and Bb trumpets.

- m

(proudly in Bb (trombone), Eb (mellophone), F (Frumpet), and Bb (cornet)!)

I've needed that E before, which you can hear in my demo Epidemic. I just used pitch bend down a whole step to get it for that note.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I've needed that E before, which you can hear in my demo Epidemic. I just used pitch bend down a whole step to get it for that note.
    Thank you, thank you. Finally someone with a practical work-around.

Go Back to forum