• Register
  • Help

Topic: External MIDI controller

Share/Bookmark

External MIDI controller

Hi All.
    This is yet another post from someone who does not have a MOD Wheel on my MIDI keyboard. I just purchased GPO though it hasn't arrived yet.

I would like to attach an external midi controller to my midi keyboard. The controller would be the type that has assignable knobs, etc, but no musical keys. So the setup would be MIDI KEYBOARD ---> External MIDI controller with a knob set to CC#1 ---> GPO.

Will this give me the volume control via mod wheel controller in GPO? Is anyone doing this?

Thank you!
    -brigo
    WinXP PRO
    1GIG RAM
    p4 1.4Ghz

Re: External MIDI controller

There are quite a few posts on this, but yes I use Evolution UC-16 controller with 16 assignable knobs and they can be configured to operate the mod wheel and 7 of the 8 on-screen Kontakt player knobs. The device connects to the PC via USB creating its own midi interface [which can be a nuisance in Cubase beacause it also creates a USB midi device in instruments which doesn't really exist which is always chosen 'first' by Cubase but can be disabled in 'set up MME' where a problem] and connects via its Midi Out to the keyboards midi in and the keyboard's midi out goes to the PC. I don't really know whether it needs both its MIDI out and its USB connection. The UC-16 has 4 preset buttons that configure all the knobs - and I have one set to GPO and one set to Halion.

Thanks LOW. That is very helpful!

brigo, do you have a pitch wheel on your keyboard?

- m

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    brigo, do you have a pitch wheel on your keyboard?

- m
    Markleford is rather shy and is checking to see if you could use his excellent plugin (which I'm not afraid to plug!!) which can use your pitch wheel as a mod wheel.

It works great, and I would highly recommend at least trying it out. You may find, as I did, that you really don't need an external controller at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelley
    Markleford is rather shy and is checking to see if you could use his excellent plugin (which I'm not afraid to plug!!) which can use your pitch wheel as a mod wheel.
    *If* he has a pitch-wheel! *And* an MFX-capable host!

I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself...

- m

I do not have a pitch wheel. I have an old ROLAND RD-300 Digital piano, from the 1980's. It is a full size 88 key piano with some good internal sounds. It sends program change, sustain pedal, basic MIDI /in/out, but does not send any other controllers, and has no other effects except for chorus and trmolo. (it does not send chorus or temolo depth messages either).

I just got a small oxygen8 midi controller with a mod wheel. I am going to try that out.

Thanks!

Go Back to forum