• Register
  • Help

Topic: PMI EMPEROR released

PMI EMPEROR released

The new EMPEROR grand piano library from the award winning Post Musical Instruments (PMI Bosendorfer 290) is now released.
    Product info and demos are on the www.postpiano.com website.
    The EMPEROR is released on 1 DVD and has a normal price of $200.

There is a special introduction price: $145. This gives you a $55 discount if you order before July 25th.

The library can be ordered now in Kontakt 1.5, Giga 2 and 3 formats* and shipping starts on June the 5th.
    *GS2 and Kontakt use 16 bit samples, 24 bit upgrade will be free.Some features will be free downloadable updates.
    Shipping starts July 16.
    See our website for a special EMPEROR+OLD LADY deal!

Official product demos: www.postpiano.com

Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Re: PMI EMPEROR released

Can you give a little more information on the piano and recording of Emperor?

The demos sound very close and dry, but what is the miking technique? Is it specifically player-perspective, or just close-miked? For playing purposes, I love having a player-perspective recording.

Also, how does this particular piano compare to the bos 290 grandioso? Is it the same piano? bigger, smaller? I really like the manual that came with the bos 290, which talks about the piano itself, it's size and the recording techniques used to capture it. Very interesting stuff.

Some info from the PMI website:

"The final 24 bit grand piano library! Programmed with up to 64 velocity layers*! 12 recorded velocity layers, with 12 seperate sustain pedal down layers and release triggered samples. This library brings you an incredible B”osendorfer 290 SE as the most realistic sample library available today. The piano has a huge dynamic range, with very subtle pianissimo and thunderous fortissimi.

The recorded pianos was equipped with an advanced computer operated playback mechanism that was designed by mathematician, scientist and inventor Wayne Stahnke. The mechanism actually operates the piano keys and pedals with over 1.000 steps accuracy for inverse hammer velocity. The Stancke computer system enabled Amsterdam based sample library producer Michiel Post to capture each velocity layer for this library with absolute velocity levels. These levels guarantee a totally even response across the whole keyboard for all velocities. The programming of this piano is designed to take full advantage of the possibilities of the new GigaStudio 3 software. This results in more programmed velocity layers. The Emperor has 24 recordings for each key. These recordings were further divided in 64 velocity groups, each a slight variation of the underlying velocity layer sample. These libraries use a new programming to create the sustain pedal effect. Traditionally, conventional piano libraries use the sustain pedal as an ON-OFF switch, which has to be pressed before a note is played. These libraries lacked the possibility to re-pedal as in a real concert grand piano. Now this barrier has been broken. The PMI EMPEROR & OLD LADY libraries allow the user to press the sustain pedal at any time while playing notes or chords to start the sympathic resonance of the non-struck strings. There is a choice of convolution using the impulse response of the body resonance of the actual piano and a programming technique that adds the recorded resonance as an extra layer. GigaPulse (the convolution engine in GigaStudio 3) is also used for recreation of the original acoustics of the piano hall where the pianos were recorded.

Special features for GigaStudio 3: Body resonance for reproduction of the true body resonance upon sustain pedal use, Hall resonance, true re-pedalling, sustain pedal triggered pedal noise etc. "

I'm hoping there will a playable demo, as there has been for the Old Lady. This is a wonderful way to evaluate a piano, and especially to experiment with the all important velocity settings of your controller.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration

I like the sound of this piano very much. The Debussy midi file needs some serious editing to really bring out what I'm guessing this piano can do. Right around 1 min 39 seconds there are some fast runs where every note in the run is fff. Pianists don't do that. It sounds mechanical. Not because of the piano soundl, but because of the MIDI file.

That aside... I can still tell it is a great sounding piano.

(Michael, when we use the Browser by Category we get the Emperor link twice with a missing pic for the second one...)

More demo !

More demo !

Could we have some with the GigaPulse ? You have a beta version of GS3, don’t you ?

(What’s the ‘little reverb added’ for the Empreror Bruce 2 demo ?)

I'm curious about something. What can I expect out of these types of sample libraries as a pianist? Will it require endless tweaking of MIDI files to get the kind of result we hear in these demos, or did someone simply play the piece?

I have finished uploading a playable demo of the EMPEROR to my website. It´s a WinRar compressed 310 B file, that extracts to a 800 MB playable gig file with all 12 velocity layers, both pedal up and pedal down. The file uses accelerated wave files for efficiency (lower CPU, disk transfers and to keep file size down).The file will remain there untill my monthly data bandwidth is consumed.

You can download the file from:

There are two GigaStudio performance files in the installer that demonstrate how to set up the piano in gs2.

The first one loads the 12 layer pedal up instrument in midi port one, the 12 layer pedal down instrument in midi port 2 and the release instrument in midi port 3. If you link all 3 midi ports you play the full piano.

The second gsp file loads the 8 layer (pedal up and pedal down) instrument in slot 1 and the releases in slot 2. In slot 3 I inserted an extra sustain pedal fx with a little short reverb that avoids the abrupt cutoff when the sustain pedal is released, what normally sounds rather un-realsitic.

*Note that some of the wav files will be cleaned during the next week so the demo file can have some artifacts that will not appear in the final disc.

Fot the sonic adventurous among us I have also uploaded some of the impulse recordings of the Emperor recording sessions to our website. The installer will copy 3 folders to your hard drive. One with hall impulses, one with the body resonance and one with key and pedal sounds. You can use these sounds freely to experiment but may not distribute them in commercial products. http://www.postpiano.com/support/updates/kontakt/PMI%20IR.zip

All demos I did for the EMPEROR and OLD LADY are standard midi files from the internet that I rendered without any tweaking. Some pieces don't sound totally right when midi information is not realistic but I never tweak the midi data.

Lastly some customers who purchased the Old Lady during the last two weeks want to buy the EMPEROR for the difference between the discounted Gold Bundle price and the OLD LADY price, I have added an item in my on-line store that allows them to do so.

Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Quote Originally Posted by NeoDavinci
    I'm curious about something. What can I expect out of these types of sample libraries as a pianist? Will it require endless tweaking of MIDI files to get the kind of result we hear in these demos, or did someone simply play the piece?
    With a good controller you should get great results. I'm suspecting that Michele downloaded the MIDI file from the internet that is used for the demo, and it wasn't played in live using this particular piano sound. I'd say that you can expect to get better results than demos you hear that are done this way.

Go Back to forum