• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Humanization for GPO

Share/Bookmark

Humanization for GPO

"Humanize" was an option in MOTU performer if I remember correctly. Since I am not about to blow a bunch of money on another sequencer, does anybody know a free way to humanize step input midi files? Basically, it just randomizes the start times and durations of the notes by a tiny bit.

Re: Humanization for GPO

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that have to do with altering the PPQN (pulses per quarter note) resolutions for each note. Improving Recording Timing Nuances by Benjamin Robert Tubb.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that have to do with altering the PPQN (pulses per quarter note) resolutions for each note. Improving Recording Timing Nuances by Benjamin Robert Tubb.
    I'm not sure if that's how the MOTU programmers did it. There was an option where you could increase or decrease the sloppiness of the playback. Chords wouldn't have notes all play back at the same time, etc. Noteheads Igor Engraver has it now. I was just wondering if anybody knew if I can do that to a midi file without buying a new sequencer. Hmm.

It would be good for a ragtime piano composition that was entered with step entry. Just a little humanization would go a long way.

I'm still exploring the different avenues of PC sequencing. Up until four months ago my only sequencer was a Roland MC-80. With the MC-80, I could go into a midi track and slide a notes value ahead or behind by a pulse at a time. This rendered a more "humanized" feel to the music due to instruments not starting OR ending exactly together. The only time I used it for percussion if I needed to add or subtract space for grace notes or if I were constructing flams, and other rudiments.
    So, you bring up an interesting question. Can we do the same with a PC's PPQN value on individual note in our scores? If so, you wouldn't need to purchase anything, right?

Now I am thinking more about this PPQN and how it works. This should be the ticket judging on past experience with external sequencers. You really got me going on this one!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hopkins
    "Humanize" was an option in MOTU performer if I remember correctly. Since I am not about to blow a bunch of money on another sequencer, does anybody know a free way to humanize step input midi files? Basically, it just randomizes the start times and durations of the notes by a tiny bit.
    If you have a computer sequencer you can edit the notes in the piano roll....experiment with the controller data and note start/cutoff times to find the best way to mimic human feel. Also consider phrasing, note attack, slurs, etc.

You say you don't want to spend a lot of money on a sequencer, but even most old, cheap sequencers have a randomize function built in where you just enter a percent variation and the start times, note lengths, velocities, etc. get randomized within your set variation. Unfortunately, as far as I know the Cubasis bundled with GPO doesn't.

I think the easiest way to approximate that with Cubasis would be to open the list view (Ctrl G). In that, if you click and hold the mouse button on any value and then move the mouse, the value changes depending on how far you move the mouse and in what direction. So, if you grab each parameter one at a time and drag it a little bit, that would do the trick although it would be really boring.

Another option would be to download the demo version of Sonar for free, use that once on all your tracks, and then get rid of it.

Yes, DP has a humanize function in the quantize window. But it is actually called randomize. It allows you to alter the start times for selected notes, in a few different ways. I usually use the percentage option and do anywhere from 5% to 12% depending on the passage.

If you're woking on the cheap and don't mind post-processing midi files, have a look at the old standby GNMIDI (http://www.gnmidi.com/). It has separate functions to randomise both duration and velocity. Of course, randomization is a hit-or-miss thing but frequently does the trick. The other often-pointed-to program is "Director Musices" (http://www.speech.kth.se/music/perfo...-download.html) which is a lot more intelligent but also more complex to use.

I have a belief (with no empirical evidence to support it) that there exists a middle ground for simple but effective "humanization" based either on fractal noise or median filtered noise or who-knows-what - for further study...

Freay

DP is so killer! Years and years of design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hopkins
    Jesse,

Depends on what you mean by humanize. If you mean to avoid quantized and machine-gun like performances, GPO has an automatic variabilit feature built in. The variability controls introduce variation so that each time a note is played it is slightly different. It will have a different intonation or different timbre.

Humaness can also be introduced by dynamic real-time performance control. If real-time control is not an option (eg you are using a scoring program or manually entering notes) then there are humanizing programs. Finale, Sonar, DP and others have this type of feature built-in. Standalone programs like ntonxy and Style Enhancer also provide humanization. There are some other companies doing amazing things with humanizing performances.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum