• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Topic: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    sponsored links


    ***Advertisments***

  2. #2

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    I'll point out the obvious: Noam Chomsky is American, so how can he be against himself?
    Easy. There are a lot of anti-Semitic Jews. It’s a psychological phenomenon called self-loathing.

    Incidentally, I have a 9th way so expose Chomsky for what he is: simply quote Chomsky himself, and when necessary, contrast it with the full contextual reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky
    I don't accept the view that we can just condemn the NLF terror, period, because it was so horrible. I think we really have to ask questions of comparative costs, ugly as that may sound. And if we are going to take a moral position on this -- and I think we should -- we have to ask both what the consequences were of using terror and not using terror. If it were true that the consequences of not using terror would be that the peasantry in Vietnam would continue to live in the state of the peasantry of the Philippines, then I think the use of terror would be justified.
    Simply look at the reality of the Vietnamese regime, in which actor Don Duong (the NVA commander in “We Were Soldiers”) was declared a “national traitor” by the Vietnamese government with the intent to prosecute him simply for acting in this film. But that’s just the beginning:
    http://www.jbs.org/visitor/focus/vie..._win/duong.htm

  3. #3

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    > "It’s a psychological phenomenon called self-loathing."

    The other way of looking at it is self-evaluation, which is a prerequisite for self-improvement.

    Why is it that when the right criticizes aspects of America it's patriotic, but when the left criticizes different aspects, it's self-loathing? [Answer: it's a bullying technique.]

  4. #4

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    I don't think it's self-loathing, but piousness. Many "intellectuals" on both sides tend to spend more time discussing issues rather than working to fix them, leaving the work to the 'little people'.

  5. #5

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    I don't think it's self-loathing, but piousness.
    Chomsky tends to spend a lot of time and energy analyzing and pointing out problems, but writes very little about how to fix them.

    Part of it is personality style. Some people are very direct: "Clean your danm room!" Others are very informative: "your room is messy". Informatives tend to assume that others are intelligent, will see that the room is messy and will choose to clean it.

    It actually fits with Chomsky's claim to be an anarchist. It's the authoritarian who attempts to force people to clean their rooms.

    As a parent of three, I try to find the balance between the two roles.

  6. #6

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    If it were true that the consequences of not using terror would be that the peasantry in Vietnam would continue to live in the state of the peasantry of the Philippines, then I think the use of terror would be justified.
    And if terror is justified, then how do you explain the success of Ghandi? There are obviously alternatives to terrorism.

    Rob

  7. #7

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Why is it that when the right criticizes aspects of America it's patriotic, but when the left criticizes different aspects, it's self-loathing? [Answer: it's a bullying technique.]
    Nope. It’s that people like Chomsky seek to find EVERY possible example they can find to say that America is evil in everything it does, while ignoring all of America’s good, and while ignoring all the greater evil elsewhere.

    I side more with people like the John Birch Society. They criticize US policies HEAVILY. But it’s an objective standard they apply equally to all. They’ll also criticize others against the same standard, and they also give credit where credit is due, both at home and abroad. Chomsky rarely points out anything good about America (and there’s PLENTY of good in America!) while denying many of the more egregious faults in other countries (so long as they’re predominantly leftist).

    THAT’s why it’s self-loathing.

    If Chomsky is only pointing out problems at home in some righteous crusade to improve America, then why does he also pick on foreign governments that are to his “right” while again ignoring similar and much worse problems on the “left”? It’s because he’s a hypocrite who is not motivated by some urge to expose truth in the world, but rather to advance his leftist ideology, even if it means being very selective with your criticism. And according to him, even if it means the use of TERROR!

    Quote Originally Posted by robh
    And if terror is justified, then how do you explain the success of Ghandi? There are obviously alternatives to terrorism.
    Right. However, Ghandi was somewhat idiotic at times. He would destroy machinery that increased efficiency just because it replaced some people’s jobs.

  8. #8

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    > "If Chomsky is only pointing out problems at home in some righteous crusade to improve America, then why does he also pick on foreign governments that are to his “right” while again ignoring similar and much worse problems on the “left”?"

    This argument has no bearing on whether the criticisms of the US and its allies are valid or not.

    I think it would be more helpful to identify when his criticisms are valid and to seek solutions. When particular criticisms are invalid, they should be pointed out as such.

    There is no reason to assume that all of Chomsky's criticisms are invalid.

  9. #9

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    This argument has no bearing on whether the criticisms of the US and its allies are valid or not.
    I never said it did. It bears on whether Chomsky is anti-American. As for whether his criticism is valid, my grievance with Chomsky is that he usually deals with actions of the US in total isolation, disembodied from their context.

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    There is no reason to assume that all of Chomsky's criticisms are invalid.
    Nobody is doing that. I actually agree with Chomsky every now and then. That’s not the point here. The point here is that Chomsky is not an honest man and constantly distorts things and divorces issues from their contextual relationships in an effort to mischaracterize. What’s more, he refuses to apply the same moral standards to his favored leftist regimes.

  10. #10

    Re: Eight Ways to Smear Noam Chomsky

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    Nope. It’s that people like Chomsky seek to find EVERY possible example they can find to say that America is evil in everything it does, while ignoring all of America’s good, and while ignoring all the greater evil elsewhere.
    this is simply wrong, Chomsky knows the values of what some in your country have achieved and he values them, but his values are not your values!!!
    Chomsky has a view of freedom that is equal for every human being on this planet, not like yours which is infantile Patriotism, you still havent grown up out of your fundamentalist mentality that reduces the infinite dynamism of an ever increasing relationship of micro and macro, for a static god, country etc
    Chomsky is an anarchist and he values the life of all , your criteria for assessing him is faulty and reflects the perversion of your world view, which isnt a world view at all, but the world as it serves the needs of the select few who live in your country, where as Chomsky sees the human relationship in everything in terms of justice, not patriotism

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    I side more with people like the John Birch Society. They criticize US policies HEAVILY. But it’s an objective standard they apply equally to all. They’ll also criticize others against the same standard, and they also give credit where credit is due, both at home and abroad. Chomsky rarely points out anything good about America (and there’s PLENTY of good in America!) while denying many of the more egregious faults in other countries (so long as they’re predominantly leftist).
    the usual rubbish, Brady works on the asssumption if you repeat something often enough it becomes real and true, he doesnt have to face the facts
    and what is your objective reality?

    for a start, because i have a greater interest in him than you do and i bother to read evey one of his articles, i can prove without doubt that you are wrong , come on Brady read his articles again, they are easy enough to find there only plastered all over the internet, if you take the challenge you will find he definetly has a focus point, but within the area he focus's on he is fully aware of the wrong doings of other individuals and countries, but you prefer to focus on the what interests Chomsky most which is the wrong doings of the empire which he knows will not get exposed by the elite controlled media in your country, that is why it must seem out of perspective to you, but is it really?
    if you were interested in understanding the workings of the world would you focus on say Fiji, Tonga, uhmm lets see Translvania, or would you focus on the empires

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    If Chomsky is only pointing out problems at home in some righteous crusade to improve America, then why does he also pick on foreign governments that are to his “right” while again ignoring similar and much worse problems on the “left”? It’s because he’s a hypocrite who is not motivated by some urge to expose truth in the world, but rather to advance his leftist ideology, even if it means being very selective with your criticism. And according to him, even if it means the use of TERROR!
    Brady you have a big mouth, now if you really want the truth,
    i challenge you to ask the man himslelf!!!!!!!!

    are you brave enougth to take the challenge?

    heres what you do go to the znet site , join the sustainer program only for a month , because i am sure you will not want to stay there, and enter the chomsky forum and ask him , its easy to smear and try to destroy him here where he cant answer directly,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •