Hey! So, while cleaning out the studio the other day, I came across the score to Edvard Grieg's "The Last Spring," which was my conducting final. And I decided to mock it up...because it is slow and I could actually play it in, and use GPO the way it is meant to be used, go figure. So here's the link:
I used all solo strings. For anyone not familiar with the score, there are the standard 5 string parts, which divisi at times and then return to unison and divisi again, so mocking this up is not really possible unless you have a tool like GPO with enough individual string patches capable of playing in unison with eachother. To increase the fullness of the sound (or was it to cover up the mistakes in my playing), I put two players on each part, to make 4 1st Violins, 4 2nds, 3 Violas, 4 Celli, and 2 Basses. And I actually played each part (I deserve a trophy full of steak'ums). I'm not a very good pianist; luckily this was slow. I played to a click.
I did very little in terms of adding in CC data after the fact. There are no bow changes. I haven't yet learned to work the pedals. It's all one huge downbow. The orchestra ordered special 20 foot bows just to perform this. (There's no re-taking in Grieg!) I corrected a few (ahem) wrong notes and I messed with the pan and the volume a bit to make it sound more intimate. And I used (I think) the ballroom 1 setting of Ambience. Took me about four hours from start to finish, did this over a couple of days.
This next piece is something I've been working on for the last few weeks. It is for a comedic film trailer. There's no actual film, just a trailer. The director wanted exactly what was in the temp, but "more dramatic." The temp was Carmina Burana.
So, I did my best. I would like some feedback here regarding the mix. I feel like it's pretty clear, and pretty balanced, but I have listened to it a gazillion times, and I just can't tell anymore. Sounds like music... I could use a fresh ear. Hopefully the director won't have too many changes. Finale has a cool plug-in called "count entries" or something to that effect, and turns out this little 4-minute piece has approximately 16,000 notes. I wonder if that qualifies as "too many."
I used a ton of instruments: Piccolo V, Flute V and Ens 1, Ob Mod Solo 2 and 3, E-horn 2, Clar Ens 1 and 2, Bass Clar, Bsn Solo 1 and Solo 2. Horns 1 Ens 1-3 and 2 Ens 1-3, Overlay f, and ff, Trumpets 1 Ens 1 and 2, Trumpet 2 Ens 1 and 2, Trumpet Overlay, Trombone Ens 1-3, Bass Tbn 1, Tbn Overlay, Contratuba Solo, Tuba Overlay, Timp, Cym, Snare, Bass Dr, Toms (Roland), Glock, Chimes, Xylo, Marimba, Harp 2, Piano, 24 Voice Choir (the voices are real, but the singers are not).
For the strings, I actually had several divisi sections so added a section of solo strings to play the divisi part, and then in unison with the rest of the ensemble, and I think it blended quite well (another testament to ensemble builder). I used string sections Lush, Shortbows, Trem, Pizz, and Trills (except for the basses), then augmented the sections with 5 solo violins to add to the 1st section, 4 for the 2nds, 3 for the Violas in their halls of stone [...okay nerd moment over], 5 celli, and 3 basses (the basses were added for sonic consistency even though there is no divisi). I think that pretty well covers it. Oh the guitar bass and drums are from my Roland keyboard. They are processed to some degree, but I tried to keep everything as natural as possible.
Sorry if the levels are wacked out, but I'm still learning about mixing. Questions, comments, moans or groans are welcome. Enjoy! (There's about six seconds of silence at the beginning).