• Register
  • Help

Topic: Starry Night

Share/Bookmark

Starry Night

Hearing ragtime (thanks Nicole!) always makes me think of summer and summer always makes me think of ragtime. With the first day of summer only a few days away, I thought I'd post this in celebration:

Starry Night

Copyright KoDa Music 2004, All Rights Reserved.

I tried to paint an impression of a starry summer night loosely around the ragtime form, in this case IntroAABBACCDD. The 'A' and 'D' sections are the "twinkley stars" bits. The 'B' section is a nod to traditional ragtime and 'C' is based on a latin ryhthm I heard one day.

This is performed using the GPO Steinway piano with Ambience Concert Hall 2 reverb.

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Thumbs up Re: Starry Night

Hi Darwin,

very nice, you´ve done a good job. I like this ragtime stuff.

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Thumbs up Re: Starry Night

Ah...Rags, some of the coolest piano music around! Excellent job. May I ask, and I am always curious to know, whether you played in live to a sequencer or notated first then exported?
    You have captures the realism and natural nuances of Rag with you work on this piece. Then again, I am a lover of Ragtime piano after studying its forms in college.
    Thanks for posting this is great!
    Styxx

Re: Starry Night

DarwinKopp,

Great to hear a ragtime piece. Well played and last noght was the perfect starry night to hear it. The last thing I did before retiring last night was to play "Starry Night" while stargazing. Enjoyed it very much.

Gary Garritan

Glad I helped inspire this movement! Sounds neat. Lets all give up on the other instruments and just keep submitting ragtime stuff ! That would be funny heh Kidding aside, your title fits very well with the feel. Its nice
    Nicole Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    Lets all give up on the other instruments and just keep submitting ragtime stuff !
    I second the motion!

Gary Garritan

Smile Re: Starry Night

Yeah, Rags are great stuff.

Hey Nicole, why don´t you try to realize a ragtime performed by a full orchestra? I guess that would sound great. Heart once a Scott Joplin song played by an orchestra. I can´t remember which title it was .... eeeehhh, maybe the Maple Leaf Rag, but I cannot say it exactly.

What do you think about this proposition?

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Thanks all for your kind comments, I really enjoyed working on this. Rags are great little four section forms, sort of like a mini suite all in one go.

Styxx, this is playing straight from Overture.

Darwin,

I thought your rag was right up there with the very best of them...well done!

The GPO Piano sounds so good with this type of music.....

Frank

PS for ragtime newbies, ragtime is a lingual corruption of 'ragged' time because of the staggered or syncopated rythym. Joplin is one of many examples of African genius in the music field.

He was as popular worldwide, circa 1900, as the Beatles were sixty odd years later.....That puts it in perspective.

Go Back to forum