• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic Kompakt Question - aftertouch etc

Share/Bookmark

Basic Kompakt Question - aftertouch etc

Hello troops. Sick of toiling with DS404 I\'m figuring on getting Kompakt but have one important Q:
    If I\'m playing say a string sample that\'s quite long, does Kompakt have a facility where if I take my finger off the keyboard key the sample will stop playing? I know this sounds silly but with the freebie it just keeps playing to the end no matter what.

What I really need in a sampler is something that lets me play strings like a synth pad i.e. plays the notes as long as I hold the keys down with a little (controllable) aftertouch.

Any users shed some light for a newbie?

Re: Basic Kompakt Question - aftertouch etc

You can adjust release, sustain, etc. in Kompakt.

thanks but I\'m not entirely sure that answers the question. Do you mean I have to manually set the sustain or can it just be set to be driven by the length of the midi message?

Originally posted by emptybe:
    thanks but I\'m not entirely sure that answers the question. Do you mean I have to manually set the sustain or can it just be set to be driven by the length of the midi message?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is probably easier then it sounds and this attemt may/may not help but the Sustain parameter is volume. You can set the release time(how long the audio is going to play after you have let the key up) from 0-several seconds.

/h

now where gettin\' somewhere! Hakan do you mean I can set it to automatically stop playing the sample when I do on the keys AND manually set the aftertouch if I want any?

now where gettin\' somewhere! Hakan do you mean I can set it to automatically stop playing the sample when I do on the keys AND manually set the aftertouch if I want any?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry, but I have problems following you.

If \"it\" is the audio coming from the machine and \"when I do\" means releasing the key - yes the thang can be set to become absolutely dead quiet as you stop banging the keyboard. It can also be set so the audio fade out nicely over time. (long release time)

The aftertouch is a different story. What was the question about the aftertouch?

Cheers
    Hakan

So to clarify in Kompakt (as opp to Kontakt)it will do all this \'go quiet when I stop hitting the key/s\' that triggers a long sustained sample?

Seems I\'m the one confused about aftertouch. I thought having it fade out after I\'ve lifted off the key was aftertouch? Either way, if it does all that I\'m sold!

So to clarify in Kompakt (as opp to Kontakt)it will do all this \'go quiet when I stop hitting the key/s\' that triggers a long sustained sample?

Seems I\'m the one confused about aftertouch. I thought having it fade out after I\'ve lifted off the key was aftertouch? Either way, if it does all that I\'m sold!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Kompakt and Kontakt do the same thing. ENV\'s and AMP\'s are probably the most basic item in any sampler/synth. I sugest doing a search on the web. Try www.clavia.se and get the manual for the Modular. At the last pages you\'ll find the basics of synthese and everything explained. It works the same way in Kompakt/Kontakt.

Like ENV\'s, keypressure is just values 0-127 that can be sent to anything. Better samplers more freedom when selecting destinations. I don\'t know what can be hooked up to key pressure in Kompakt. Maybe a post at NI\'s forum will help.

/h

Go Back to forum