• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for PC to Mac Converts

Share/Bookmark

Question for PC to Mac Converts

For those of you who have converted from PC to Mac for music purposes, what have been the advantages and disadvantages?

I have been using a PC for the longest time, but have grown tired of spending time trying to get software to work and I get the impression that many mac users are better able to get things to work properly, therefore spending more time making music.

I'm about to buy a new computer just for music and am wondering if I should make the switch. The downside would be having to buy Logic in addition to the Mac plus additional RAM, etc. But if I can spend more time making music and less time trying to figure out conflicts, it would be worth it.

Thanks,
    Wes

Re: Question for PC to Mac Converts

I switched to pc from mac. THings have never been so stable, functional, and powerful. You just have to be more aware of technical stuff with pc. And believe me, mac has its healthy share of issues. In fact I always had some problem or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazul
    I switched to pc from mac. THings have never been so stable, functional, and powerful. You just have to be more aware of technical stuff with pc. And believe me, mac has its healthy share of issues. In fact I always had some problem or the other.
    Thank you for your response. I know part of my problem is that I'm not as tech savvy as I ought to be.

I went cross-platform a couple of years ago, and now I think that's the only way to go. But I can also tell you that neither platform is able to guarantee you trouble-free operation. Being tech savvy is certainly handy, but not a requirement to having a smoothly running setup. There are many factors that go into creating a stable system, and some, such as intermittent hardware problems and poorly written installers, are beyond our control and may be summed up as "luck." We tend to compound our problems by piling on more and more plugins---many of them freebies---which are often the source of instability.

If I had to pick one platform over the other for music making, I'd have to go with Mac (of course I'm a Logic user), but don't be too disappointed if you find out, as I did, that even Macs have to be re-booted sometimes.

I've worked with both platforms for many years, and had issues with both. I was always better able to troubleshoot PC issues, Mac's error message scheme was simply not enough (OS9 and below) or way too much info (OSX.)

But then I was an application programmer on PC for 25 years. with tech support part of the picture and training users, etc.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum