• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Choir Library Recommendations?

Share/Bookmark

Choir Library Recommendations?

I'm sorely tempted by "Voices Of The Apocalypse". I don't have Giga but I do have Kontakt which loads giga libraries (although I've never tried it).

Before I open my wallet, are there other libraries I should consider? While VOTA's ability to form words is appealing I'm not convinced I actually need it.

Thanks,
    Gwydi

Re: Choir Library Recommendations?

Only four libs come to my mind:

a) Peter Siedlazcek's (Extended) Classical Choir. Kinda old but probably the cheapest of all. It's okay but of course the others sound better.

b) Symphony of Voices... THE choir library used mostly back in the 90ies, esp its boy choir/solo phrases. Really great and probably a must-have for its choir effects

c) Voices of the Apocalypse. Just hot and awesome. More powerful than the first two. Esp. superb for Orff-ish choir but can be played soft, too. Word-building possibilities.

d) Miroslav Classical Choirs. Don't know much. The demo I heard last year was nice but nothing new. If I remember correctly you get syllables (ro, mi and so on) to build words.´

Coming soon: VOCI concerto choir (BeladMedia), VOTA 2 (using the same technique like EWQSLO if I'm not mistaken). Doug mentioned earlier this year that there will be a VOTA 1 VSTi version, don't know if it's coming. Would be cool, though.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm pretty sure I have forgotten something.

In the end, it depends on what kind of music you are planning to do and how much money you want to spend.

-Marc

i would go for vota if i am were you, because you have the best options and more details...

as for me speaking i just use the wavefiles and put the together myself. it takes a bit longer but the result is more realistic. i think i am too stupid for the tool but seriously, i think the results are more realistic doing it by hand ...

I love both VOTA and SOV. SOV has a slightly softer quality about the men's and women's vowel sounds, which lends itself more to the Jar-Jar-Binks-Navigating-The-Depths sound (with some subtle pitch bend), whilst VOTA is fantastic for the Frodo-Faces-Down-Black-Riders sound. If you're not sure whether you need the word-building capability then you don't. It doesn't work that well, and is basically for giving the vague impression that the choir might be singing some meaningful syllables in the middle of a big mix.

The only alarm bell that rang for me, as I read your post, was regarding Kontakt. Since updating Kontakt to the latest version it's refused to load Giga samples at all. Whenever I point it to look at a Giga library it insists it must be corrupt, and if I try loading a program anyway it just does nothing.

It used to work fine with the old version, and I'm sure if it turns out to be a general bug (as opposed to a problem with just my system) Native Instruments will make sure it's fine again in the next version, but for now I'm stuck using Giga-samples if Gigastudio.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcDerell

VOTA 2 (using the same technique like EWQSLO if I'm not mistaken)
    -Marc
    Does this mean there won't be a giga version of VOTA 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Since updating Kontakt to the latest version it's refused to load Giga samples at all.
    Possibly a stupid question - are there any freely downloadable Giga-format libraries on the net? I'd be interested to try with my Kontakt (1.53) to see what it does.

You're probably right about the vowel sounds - I have enough trouble writing music, let alone thinking of words too!

Thanks,
    Gwydi

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    Does this mean there won't be a giga version of VOTA 2?
    This mean recorded in the same hall with the same three mic position...Doug and Nick have not announced if it will be for both GS and Kompakt...but big deal , I think NI interface is much better than GS interface!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Exclamation Re: Choir Library Recommendations?

Thank you for the mention.

Though we have not announced a release date, Voci - Concerto Choir Collection will consist of many "first to be captured" in the world of a sampled choirs.

Expect the unexpected.

Best
    Bela D Media
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I love both VOTA and SOV. SOV has a slightly softer quality about the men's and women's vowel sounds, which lends itself more to the Jar-Jar-Binks-Navigating-The-Depths sound (with some subtle pitch bend), whilst VOTA is fantastic for the Frodo-Faces-Down-Black-Riders sound.
    ...Interesting choice of metaphors! I needed a good chuckle this morning - thank you!

Gwydi, if vowels aren't really your thing the less expensive libs may do. Also, some of the VOTA angel choir (ooohs) as well as the modwheel men's and women's choir (ah-eh) are included in QLSO Silver Edition (which you could use in Kontakt.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydi
    Possibly a stupid question - are there any freely downloadable Giga-format libraries on the net? I'd be interested to try with my Kontakt (1.53) to see what it does.

You're probably right about the vowel sounds - I have enough trouble writing music, let alone thinking of words too!

Thanks,
    Gwydi
    Try www.worrasplace.com

Go Back to forum