• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DMA settings for 3 Maxtors 5T020H2 and Promise ATA 100 PCI Controller

Share/Bookmark

Re: DMA settings for 3 Maxtors 5T020H2 and Promise ATA 100 PCI Controller

Some motherboards require that you install their special IDE drivers. Just a guess...

Howdy,

Thanks, it\'s an CUSL2-C with 815 EP Intel chipset, if I install the Intel Ultra ATA storage driver, the DMA settings in \"Drives\" dissapear. When I uninstall the Ultra ATA storage driver, I can only set DMA for the IDE (first drive (C ) only.

Only then I get the windows message:

Controller/cd-rom or drives not compatible with settings etc..

When do I know DMA is enabled for all three Maxtor drives?

Thanks all

DMA settings for 3 Maxtors 5T020H2 and Promise ATA 100 PCI Controller

Hi all,

I have 3 Maxtors 5T020H2

1. C (boot/software)
    2. D Dedicated Giga Library
    3. E Audio Recording

Now, if clicking in system on drives I get Generic IDE Disk Type 74, the other 2 in the list show Maxtor 5T020H2

Why is the first named IDE? now, what should be the proper controller since if I activate DMA for the IDE (first C: drive) winblows says \"Controller not compatible\" second, I cannot activate DMA for the other 2 Maxtors???

Someone knows the solution?

Thanks

Is with the newer systems UDMA automatically enabled? I\'m running on Windows ME.

When installing the Ultra 100 Controller, the option to check DMA in the system/drives dissapears. Is it on for master/slaves?

Peace,
    PDG

HI,

If you have Intel Ultra ATA Storage Driver installed then it won\'t show DMA check mark. But if you open IUAS driver, IUASD\'s Companion to be exact, you can see how your hard disks are being operated and you can change the tansfer mode from there. Those HDD may be the ones connected to M/B directly.

I also use Promise ATA-100 card which is not detected by Intel ATA driver. Although at the start up as PC detect the card, it shows that it is DMA-5. But I am not sure if it\'s been operated at DMA-5 or not. I may need to look in carefully a bit more...

My PC : CUSL2-C with PIII 1 GHz with 512RAM
    3 IBM HDD
    Windows98SE.....

Misterjin

[This message has been edited by Misterjin (edited 01-19-2002).]

I just checked my HDD for its DMA mode and it all appeared to be DMA5.

To check that you need to go to Maxtor webpage to find a little utilitie software that can check Maxtor\'s HDD performance. I just did mine with IBM Feature Tool. Each HDD manufacturer has their own version of soft like that... You should try that.

Good luck,

Misterjin

Thanks man

We have the same motherboard as well, and indeed at booting pc shows UDMA5 for all.
    I\'ll hunt down the maxtor utility even after I got a reply from Promise telling:

>Hi Roy
    > DMA on the ultra card should be set on >automatically, you will not have a check >box to enable or disable the DMA.
    >
    >

Thanks,
    PDG

OOPS, came to my notice that the Maxtors aren\'t recognized at all???? only the primairy master IDE is detected, the other slaves seem unpopulated??

How is this possible on WinME? they do work though.

Strangeness!

Thanks,
    PGN

What does it say about HDD in WinMe and also about your Promise ATA card? Which PCI slot did you put your ATA card? Does PC itself recognize all drvies?

You could also try to check from DOS.

Misterjin

How is your Giga performance with the Promise controller? I have an Asus A7V133 MOBO with it and I had to forget using it because the performance - at least with Giga - was horrible. It took fifteen minutes to load a set of samples that should have taken a minute or so, for example.

Doug

Go Back to forum