• Register
  • Help

Topic: Psychopathic String Quartet with extension

Share/Bookmark

Talking Psychopathic String Quartet with extension

Saw recently a cool Hindemith concert on TV. It was for piano and about 20 string instruments...nothing more. The piano player was simultaneous conducting and playing. Was really impressive...and inspired me to try some atonal piece of music.
    The result is less Hindemith-like but more scandinavian/filmscoring influenced. The base of the tune is a string quartet that is partially complemented by the rest of the orchestra. And without intending it I think I've stolen some figures from Mr. Holst. I am not exactly sure. Anyway..it was quite labor intensive and I will probably continue to do some finetuning but here is the first result for the present:

http://home.arcor.de/captor/Scandinavian_1.mp3

Hope u enjoy!

Cheers!

Re: Psychopathic String Quartet with extension

Hey this more than the strings and a piano you were influenced by. Also more than a quartet. OK, you said as much in your post. Although you may have started with the orchestra complimenting the quartet, it turned ou with the quartet introducing the idea and orchestra taking it and making it it's own - very nicely, I might add. Have you thought of having the quartet come back at the end? I don't know if it would work, but....

I don’t know if it sounds like Hindermith since the only thing of his I’ve really listened to is “Mathus der Mahler” or something like that (don’t have it in front of me). I also don’t know if it sounds Scandinavian. However, I do like it. It’s very interesting.

I can tell it was very labor intensive – there is a lot to it. I think your labor paid off – this is very nice. If you polish it up (not sure it needs it – sounds great to me) please post it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Very interesting. Goes from alot of discord to soothing and back ect I like it. The start from a smaller group to bigger is neat. I enjoyed you sharing that with us thank you.
    Nicole Davis

@Trent: thanx for your detailed feedback! I appreciate it when people take time to listen attentive.

@Nicole: glad u like! Yes...it's all about changeovers. Nice that it is noticable.

I like this a lot. The changeovers are very effective. Although I agree with trentpmcd that the quartet should come back at some point. It begins with a motive-based idea which degrades harmonically once the orchestra comes in feels more harmonically stable. I find myself waiting for another moment where the harmony degrades and the opening motive comes back. It was nice to hear it in the English horn solo, but one more time through will bring the piece to a nice full circle.

GigaLove,

I went to listen to your Psychopathic String Quartet but was unable to download it. The message on the screen was

Have the Psychopaths removed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    GigaLove,

I went to listen to your Psychopathic String Quartet but was unable to download it. The message on the screen was

Have the Psychopaths removed it?
    Same here.
    Styxx

Ditto.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Ditto again.

Karl

Go Back to forum