• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Percussion Lagging

Share/Bookmark

GPO Percussion Lagging

I was wondering if anyone else has run into difficulty with the percussion in GPO? My problem is that in rythmically complex lines the percussion seems to lag. Take this snipet from The Stone King, a piece I'm working on. The timpani doesn't lag too bad, but the snare is a complete mess. Is there something specific about GPO Studio or is it Finale's playback? If it is Finale, then I really don't understand because the brass does not lag like the percussion.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Re: GPO Percussion Lagging

Are you using Finale's human playback? Sometimes that gives unpredictable results.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Are you using Finale's human playback? Sometimes that gives unpredictable results.

JT
    Thanks for the feedback, JT. I use Finale 2003a, and as far as I can tell there is no "human playback."
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Hi Fossman. I dont i have a midi keybord, i just write the data in manually on cubase with the mouse and i am having the same problem with the snare drum passages. It is also quite noticable with the piano/harp. I assumed it was something to do with soundcard/buffer problems because for some reason, on gpo studio when i try to pick an ASIO driver from the "audio driver" drop down list, I get an error message saying, "errorcode: FFA-8-000D. Playback failed. Audio system does not seem to respond. maybe card does not support full duplex mode". However i have an audigy 2 and have it set on full duplex.

I know this message is no help (lol) but just so you know your not the only one with this problem.

Wholly Molly! I tried to listen to your snippet and received a lengthy page of encryption! Being a "sluggish" percussionist myself, I was curious to hear your example. I haven't encountered this problem with anything I've done so far. But then again, I usually play in the parts via a Roland percussion pad midi to the PC. The most I ever have to do is tweak up some off notes here and there and velocity. Hmmm, interesting post though.
    Heck, all percussionists are sluggish anyway.
    Styxx

Fossman,

I’ve tried some tests to determine if changes were required in the programming of the snares but I have not been able uncover any problems. The samples are edited to within 1ms of waveform onset and it lacks any significant attack envelope contribution which eliminates instrument programming as a contributing factor. I created some quantized test files in Sonar and they appear to be well synchronized with the clock, taking into account the driver latency settings. This is using the VST plugin and WDM drivers for M-Audio’s FW410.

One thing that puzzles me is your impression that the snares are acting differently than other percussion (like the timps). If this was a problem that was consistent for all percussion instruments I would chalk it up to a latency issue and suggest using offsets to compensate but the description of inconsistency between instruments makes this more difficult to troubleshoot. Especially an inconsistency that favors the timps when the snares have virtually no “slop factor” in the waveforms. I suspect a system problem but I can’t think of one that would be isolated primarily to the snares. I’m not being of much help here but without more information I’m at a loss to narrow it down.

Richard: It is essential that you solve the problem of using the ASIO drivers if you wish to have decent latency performance but, again, any latency issues should be relatively consistent among “percussive” instruments. On my system I tried stacking combinations of instruments in quantized 16th note test files (snare with timp, snare with harp, snare with piano) and found no significant differences in timing between instruments on my system. In other words, everything seemed pretty tight. So the best I can offer right now is another data point on the chart.

Tom

FossMan,

I tried the snare on my machine and don't have the problems in Sonar, Cubase or Overture. Try playing the snare in a different program. It could be a setting in Finale. Did you try another staff other than a percussion staff? Check your MIDI through settings also. Hopefully we can identify and take you from the snares of the lagging snares.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum