Topic: my stuff

Share/Bookmark

Post my stuff

Hi

New here and looking for opinions on how my sequencing/mixing sounds:

invasion

decision

sunset rotation

I am about to upgrade and I am not sure where the weakest areas are. Always difficult for me to tell how my stuff compares.

Thanks,
    Iain

Re: my stuff

Hi,

the songs are fine, but I didn´t get your message at all. You said that you want to upgrade. But what? Your sound libs? Wether yes than it would be helpful to know what libs you use already.

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Yes - I'm sorry. I am upgrading samples (that's the main thing), because my library is getting dated.

For the pieces posted I have used:

wws - miroslav solo
    brass - miroslav solo & ensemble
    harp - gigaharp
    piano - gigapiano
    percussion - miroslav, propeller island gongs, g-town, & personal library
    strings - kirk hunter (with miroslav solo layered on top in some cases)

Another thing I am concerned with is reverb (I will be upgrading by software or hardware, not sure yet). For the pieces above I have used the standard plugin (NFX?) that came with giga, which I think might be too muddy.

Thanks,
    iain

Ok.

I would propose you should upgrade your percussion section. The brasses and woodwinds as well as the strings sound nice (although I´d always prefer the VSL - but that lib is quite expensive.)

I´m sure the Stormdrums would enrich your overall sound. (Greeting to Nick ) But there are also a few more orchestral percussion libs available.

But I can´t wait to see what other users suggest to upgrade. Referring to hardware I unfortunately have scant knowledge, sorry.

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Quote Originally Posted by iaink
    Yes - I'm sorry. I am upgrading samples (that's the main thing), because my library is getting dated.

For the pieces posted I have used:

wws - miroslav solo
    brass - miroslav solo & ensemble
    harp - gigaharp
    piano - gigapiano
    percussion - miroslav, propeller island gongs, g-town, & personal library
    strings - kirk hunter (with miroslav solo layered on top in some cases)

Another thing I am concerned with is reverb (I will be upgrading by software or hardware, not sure yet). For the pieces above I have used the standard plugin (NFX?) that came with giga, which I think might be too muddy.

Thanks,
    iain
    Hello,

I use VSL (www.vsl.co.at), if you can afford it... get it! (i took a loan out for the pro-edition )

SAM (www.Projectsam.com) Great Brass libraries, and a good price too.

and X-sample (do a google search ) Some nice interesting percussion too.

All very useful libraries. With regards to reverb, I too only have the gigastudio NFX reverb... but the new gigastudio will be out soon with a spanky new reverb which I think we'll want :0

Get a nice powerful computer tho. You don't have to have more than one with the current gigastudio (just do a few bounces)....but the new gigastudio might need more CPU's

Thumbs up Re: my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by iaink
    Hi

New here and looking for opinions on how my sequencing/mixing sounds:

invasion

decision

sunset rotation

I am about to upgrade and I am not sure where the weakest areas are. Always difficult for me to tell how my stuff compares.

Thanks,
    Iain
    Hi Iain, I really like your stuff. It sounds BIG. What sample library are you using? One comment if I may, I tought the first two tracks sounded a little cluttered around the middle frequencies. The last track, with the stereo delay on flute tongue? I like!
    D
    Dov Waterman Fork Sound

Even with GS3 on the same maching as your DAW, on a P4 3.0 one can expect double the poly of GS1.5

If you dont mind plugins, GPO or EWQLO Silver might really add to your pallete as they are probably better than the old Miroslav. Stormdrum or just the VSL Percussion on its own would help you loads too.

Thumbs up Re: my stuff

Very nice, Iain!

Like others have noted, some of your orchestration feels grandly "BIG" (and yet at other times some of the less faithful samples I think betray you).

In "Decision to Betray" you are endanger of infringing one of the John Williams themes (I think for "Jurassic Park") but you only do 6 notes of the sequence, so you're probably safe from hearing from his publisher. (I never hear when I'm "citing" a theme from another composer either!)

Nice stuff ... more!!

Cheerz! KevinKauai

Sounds really good. You can tell there are some hints of John Williams. However, I would be very weary of Sunset Rotation being really too close to Cadillac of the Skies [From Empire of the Sun]. 6 notes are played in the same phrasing, but you hold the sixth and then go to the seventh (which is also the next note in the JW progression). You probably would hear from the publisher on that one. If you are trying to emulate some of his less polyphonic (I guess that is how you would describe them) tunes, you do a very good job.

As for libraries, the obvious ones are the new EWQLSO, VSL, and Garritan libraries. You make your libraries sound very good though. If you are comfortable with them, and move quickly with them, keep them. Look at some percussion though.

Go Back to forum