• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO with Tracktion?

Share/Bookmark

GPO with Tracktion?

Anybody use GPO with the new Mackie Tracktion program?

I've heard some interesting and very positive things about the program lately, but of course I want to know how well GPO will work with it. I'm considering it as a more affordable alternative to Sonar 3.

I'll be trying out the demo within the next several days (busy getting the house ready for showings now, so no time to check that out until the weekend) and will report back my findings when I can, but if anyone has a heads up in the meantime, that'd be great.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Thumbs up Re: GPO with Tracktion?

Shaz,
    You can call Mackie and talk to one of their techs. I do once in a while and they are more than happy to answer any questions especially concerning new products. Or, go up on their website, www.mackie.com
    (I was wondering the same)
    Styxx

Re: GPO with Tracktion?

There is actually a Tracktion forum somewhere...I lurked there for a week or two once. If I can remember where, I'll point it to you. My general impressions of Tracktion are that it does a couple of things very good and in other areas its extremely simple. Most of the users seem to appreciate the simplicity, saying that pro DAW's like DP, Logic, Sonar, etc...are too complicated for them and they get more work done by using Tracktion precisely because of its simplicity.

For me, I decided I prefer the higher end DAW approach. However some people may definitely appreciate the Tracktion interface. Those people that love it, really love it. I have not tried it with GPO... I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. If you use it, let us know how it goes!
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

I've tried it enough to confirm that GPO actually works inside Tracktion, but no heavy duty power-user testing.

Tracktion does have the most simple, intuitive user interface I've tried. The learning curve will not get in the way of music in this case.

Trond

"Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

I have been working with Tracktion for a few weeks now. My experiences so far:

1) Very interesting and intu•tive program, rather powerful and stable as well. Works fast and easy.

2) There is a bit of a problem with loading midi files from notation software. Apparently it creates a file where every instrument is divided over 16 midi channels. In the case of a straightforward string quartet I get 75 tracks! Perhaps you can imagine what happens when I try to import an orchestral file? Nothing very much because the program freezes.

I pointed this out to the programmer and he said he changed the code so in the next Tracktion version it is probably easier to import files. Seeing is believing.....

3) One very interesting item is the fact that you can cut a midi clip and change the channels. When changing from arco to pizz, you don't have to create a new track! I like that!

4) I have just about started with working out the midi editing possibilities. It is NOT possible to copy mod wheel data from one clip to another. There is an interesting program available called 'CC Rider' where the recorded midi data is transferred to automation data. You can copy this and paste it into other midi clips. I haven't had time to try this out though! Will do this in a couple of days.

5) The forum and the people who are using Tracktion are very lively, clever and helpful, I find.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Frank

dewdman42,
    Thanks for the link to the Tracktion forum. Lurking and quite a few interesting posts.

Styxx

Thumbs up Re: GPO with Tracktion?

Was talking to a tech at Mackie. They have a "web" special (download only) for Tracktion. Go to their website and download Tracktion for "Online Price: $80
    MSRP: $149 You save: $69".
    Just thought you guyzzzzz would like to know.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Mackie other than the use of their products.
    Styxx

The new version Tracktion 2 is probably released in a few months so perhaps it is wise to just wait and see if it is really a good alternative for using with GPO. Do try out the demo, by all means.

f.

I have to add that I used some very old (and perhaps even obsure) midi files. Now I have started on some Sibelius files, the trouble I had earlier doesn't seem to happen.

I like Tracktion more every day. The same applies to GPO.

Go Back to forum