• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can't get 4 GPO instances in Cubasis VST

Share/Bookmark

Can't get 4 GPO instances in Cubasis VST

First off, let me say that I recently purchased GPO after finding a reference to it in the Sibelius user forum and I am tremendously impressed by both the quality and the simplicity of this "virtual" orchestra! My question is this: from what I can tell I should be able to get 4 VST instances of GPO in Cubasis (bundled with the software). When I load the instruments, I can load 1 and 2 alright, when I load 3 I get a message that says "no more mixer channels" - then it show up in the slot. Then I load instrument 4 and that loads OK. Now, although I am showing 4 instruments in the VST slots, when I go to set my individual parts in the main MIDI panel, I only see GPO instruments 1,2 and 4 listed - 3 is not accessible. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, what can be done. I am using a Pentium IV 3.2 ghz processor with 1 gigabyte of RAM and an EDIROL SD-90 as the sound card. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can't get 4 GPO instances in Cubasis VST

I've had the same problem, and can't seem to find an answer. I used to only be able to get 2 instances, but then found out that if I first deleted all of the pre-existing VSTi in the slots, and then added them, I could at least get three.

???
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

The solution, unfortunate as it may be, is to upgrade to Cubase SE or SL. This is a limitation of the included Cubasis. Cubase SE has 8 instruments slots and can be obtained for about 99 bucks I believe (it is a stripped down version of SL and SX.) You may want to wait until Gary releases any information about the upgrade coming before purchasing anything right at the moment.

I guessed as much... it does seem a bit of a tease though to offer 4 VST instruments and then not let you use one of them (well, I can use Brother Gregory in the fourth slot, but it's not quite the same )

Thanks for your quick replies and I will sit tight as you suggested - at least as long as I can. I'll just have to keep my projects small and modest for the time being and continue to learn what I can from all the existing posts.

The only other advice I could offer in the short term would be to use GPO Studio (it allows a further 8 instances). When something better did come along you'd just have to change the outputs from Studio to VST.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    The solution, unfortunate as it may be, is to upgrade to Cubase SE or SL. This is a limitation of the included Cubasis. Cubase SE has 8 instruments slots and can be obtained for about 99 bucks I believe (it is a stripped down version of SL and SX.) You may want to wait until Gary releases any information about the upgrade coming before purchasing anything right at the moment.
    Actually I don't think so! I've tested GPO on W2k and Win98, with Cubase VST32 5.1 and on W2k I could only load one instance, on the second loading the "No more Mixer channels" appeared. There must be a workaround... keep searching and good luck
    -Cheers Matt

While Cubasis has 4 slots for VST instruments it is limited to a total of 48 output channels. Each GPO plugin has 8 pairs of outputs (16 channels) so 3 GPO instances equal 48 channels, the maximum allowed in Cubasis. Having 8 pairs of outputs in GPO gives great routing flexibility to users of sequencers like Sonar3 or CubaseSX but any sequencer that limits the number of outputs will restrict the total number of instances.

Matt, I’m not familiar with the capabilities of Cubase VST32 so I can’t comment on your experience. No such limit exists in the higher end products with which I am familiar.

Tom

If someone can confirm whether Cubase SE has more than 48 output channels, that would be helpful, as I may upgrade to that if that is the case.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Having 8 pairs of outputs in GPO gives great routing flexibility to users of sequencers like Sonar3...
    Tom
    Tom,
    what version of NI player are you referring to? I could get only 1 pair of outputs either Main or 1+2. The rest (3+4, 5+6 etc.) just didn't work. From VSampler I get all 16 outputs and use EQ, automation on all of them. It's not the case with GPO. Am I missing something?
    TIA
    sfiks

Finally got a chance to try the new GPO Studio (with WAV rendering) with Cubasis and it works wonderfully. So with 8 instruments per 8 GPOStudio outputs, we should be able to get up to 64 instruments in Cubasis now (assuming your system can handle that many anyway). Avoid the VST instrument panel altogether and just assign the output of each track to its corresponding GPO Studio output. Record the tracks in Cubasis, then select the record function in GPOStudio, start recording with that, press Play in Cubasis until it goes through the piece (that's the main downside, as you have to play through everything as opposed to just rendering it quickly, but for some reason GPOStudio outputs will not render anything when using the Cubasis Export function), then go back into the GPOStudio record function and stop it. Viola! A nice WAV file of the work.

I may put together a little more elaborate tutorial of GPO & Cubasis at some point, as the one already done, while doing a nice job on some of the basics, leaves out some significant points.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Go Back to forum