• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 2112 Practical Joke

Share/Bookmark

Talking 2112 Practical Joke

Hi All,

I couldn’t help myself. I had to share this musical practical joke I have just played with my GPO buds.

My wife is in her public speaking class. For her assignment today, she is showing the class a yoga maneuver involving balancing on one foot while the other foot is brought up to the hip. Unwisely, she asked me to do some music for this. As I consider humor a basic necessity of life, I could not resist. Being that I had less than 30 minutes to compose, record, and burn it on CD, I didn’t get to take the time to think of more evil stuff do but here is the crux:

The music was specifically written to make ones sense of balance off. The last note of the melody is rhythmically delayed at various points, the tempo is set to 103bbm, and did the obvious stuff with rhythm etc. She only had time to listen to it once before she was out the door so I was able to conceal this evil prank as a legit trance/ambience thingy.

Behold the evil:

http://scoringhouse.com/bsdemos/alliyoga.mp3

The time is currently 7:27 central. She gets back around 10. I will advise.

I am reminded of the old Godzilla and Karate movies so imagine me moving lips off sync: “Grasshopper, one must be wise in the use of this power!”

HEHE!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: 2112 Practical Joke

What's your new fasination with the Golden Ratio? {1/x = [(5) ½ +1]/2 =}
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    What's your new fasination with the Golden Ratio? {1/x = [(5) ½ +1]/2 =}
    Yeay! Alan gets a cookie!!
    I see your education is proceeding as I planned!

An old fascination actually. I just get a kick out of how often it appears in nature (i.e. seashells, DNA, Galaxies, flushing the poddy when I remember to etc ). Da Vinci loved it too. I was going to try and find a way to use it musically (tunings etc) but I’m too lazy. I think people have dabbled with it to no avail. But still a fascinating pattern.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart

"Alan gets a cookie!"

It better come air-sealed, GPOzilla hates when they get stale!

Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    "Alan gets a cookie!"

It better come air-sealed, GPOzilla hates when they get stale!

ROFL!
    Sealed as an Ebay Squirrel Alan!

Actually, in retrospect, maybe not wise use of ones powa. I wonder If I am legally liable if someone falls down .LOL!!
    Boy! That would be an interesting case!!!!ROFL!!!!

I can see it now

Defense attorney: “So the prosecution contends that my client is able to somehow magically make people fall down while he is asleep and 30 miles away?”..LOL!!!!!

HA!

Wife called! No one fell down, so thats good, but she said it seemed "a little harder to stay balanced for some reason"...LOL!
    Full interrogation upon her arrival.

Hate to burst your bubble about Phi, but check out the following article:

http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_06_04.html

Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated also.. I'm not sure I completely agree with the author above...but he does give a healthy reality check.

As far as I understand, one of the priniciple places to look for the golden ratio in music is in the harmonic overtone series... No?

-steve
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    Hate to burst your bubble about Phi, but check out the following article:
    Hehe! Interesting article and it is correct I think. Many people see it everywhere - even where it does not exist. I've even heard of some "cults" that have formed, pushing the idea that Phi is the key to the universe. I think it is safe to say that it is an interesting pattern, but there are others as well. It is not the end-all of interesting numbers. Never-the-less, I still find it very interesting, both in it's historical misunderstanding and also as a pattern that appears frequently. I had no Idea that so many had actually tried it with music.

Thanks for that. I bookmarked it.

Regards,

many cults. Of course...you already must have known the 2112 "star" is based on Phi too eh? Many of the ancients believed it was a magical number, so many things were created using it as a basis..including symbols, buildings, etc.. I've even read that the great pyramids at Giza are situated in a line such that if you were to draw a curved line through the pyramids..the curve would follow the golden ratio...and the center of the spiral would end up on the sphynx... Actually Giza is full of golden ratio geometry in the architecture all over the place...so they say...but then again...maybe I'm misinformed like so many others.. heh heh.....
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum