• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Topic: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    John Hawksley just sent 'This Glorious Eden'. The GPO rendition is a mock-up prior to being arranged for concert band.

    John has done an extraordinary job of weaving textures which show off GPO brass and winds quite nicely.

    'This Glorious Eden' is downloadable from
    http://www.hawksley.net/mp3/ -at the top of the list.


    Thanks John for sharing this.


    Gary Garritan

  2. #2

    Thumbs up Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    Really nice John.

    The brass has a really good sound. The first brass line is amazing. I would like to see a MIDI file on this and an instrument list. It sounded beautifully composed...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

    20 Things

  3. #3

    Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    Hello Alan, and thanks both you and Gary for the kind words, much appreciated!

    No problems with a patch list. Bear in mind that these are the track names from the sequencer, but they should line up with the GPO patch names. Cello short bows & bass short bows (all unision with the tubas to give a bit more 'oomf' for the mock-up), piccolo solo V, flute solo V, Ensemble flutes 1 to 3, oboe 1 modern solo, oboe 2 modern solo, bassoon 1 solo, bassoon 2 solo, Bb Clarinet ens 1 & 2, bass clarinet solo, French horn 1 solo, french horn 2 ensembles 1 to 3, french horn overlay, Trumpet 1 solo, Trumpet 2 ensembles 1 to 3, trumpet overlay, trumpet piccolo V solo, tenor trombone solo, tenor trombone ens 3, bass trombone 2, trombone overlay, tuba 1 solo, tuba 2 solo, tuba overlay.

    All are dry samples.

    Phew! That's what was used in this piece. The actual template itself has the following extras at the top of the score: Vlns 1 lush, vlns 1 short bows, vlns 2 lush, vlns 2 short bows, viola lush, violas short bows.

    The reverb is the (excellent!) included Garritan Ambience reverb VST plugin from the GPO in 'church' mode.

    The percussion you can hear in this track is not GPO but from another library.

    Another piece in symphonic form that I would say shows off the utterly gorgeous Garritan GPO strings is "In Dreams", also on the link above, with the remark that this also uses the lovely Garritan harp samples but the percussion and guitars are external libraries.

    Again much more 'film score' style is "Outpost", in the same list, which is much more dynamic (again, external percussion).

    This is starting to sound like an advert for the GPO - when it really speaks (or sounds) for itself - but I also used it in a pop-orchestra context in "Say The Word" and "International News". It sits really nicely with the band instruments (bass, kit, guitars etc.)

    Anyway, thanks again for having a listen!

    Best,
    John

  4. #4

    Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    Very nice, I love this piece!!! I can see you having a lucrative career in videogame music. Keep up the excellent work.

  5. #5

    Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    Very nice. I like the melody and the way it all melds together. It has such an uplifting feel to it. I associate a march with a wind band setting so often, that I was expecting to hear that sound when I first started listening; the strings threw me off momentarily. Odd...I didn't even miss the saxes. If GPO ever gets saxes, it would be nice to hear the original band arrangement. I really liked the other music on your site as well. Outpost and International news are very cool! You are amazingly diverse. We've got a triple threat on our hands! Great job, John.

  6. #6

    Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    Heya Guys!

    I am a humble software engineer - no threat at all!! I've also listened to many of you guys's demos too and am even more humbled!

    Yes, the arrangement is missing the saxes and tenor horns (until I can find decent libraries to fill the gap) - so the arranger will have to derive these parts from the existing. That's a bit of a pain because obviously I'd love to have them available to play with. With the strings - yeah I wanted to have a piece that wasn't just a mockup but which could be listened to, and I snuck them in to give it a bit more on the bottom :-)

    Glad you like it, guys.

    -John

  7. #7

    Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    John, in the three months since you've posted this arrangement, have you been able to locate some decent libraries for saxes, tenor horns, euphoniums, and the like? I have a lot of interest in concert band writing, but without them that's going to be a little difficult in spots. Holst's First Sutie in Eb comes to mind. . .

    Thanks!
    Graham Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    Heya Guys!

    I am a humble software engineer - no threat at all!! I've also listened to many of you guys's demos too and am even more humbled!

    Yes, the arrangement is missing the saxes and tenor horns (until I can find decent libraries to fill the gap) - so the arranger will have to derive these parts from the existing. That's a bit of a pain because obviously I'd love to have them available to play with. With the strings - yeah I wanted to have a piece that wasn't just a mockup but which could be listened to, and I snuck them in to give it a bit more on the bottom :-)

    Glad you like it, guys.

    -John

  8. #8

    Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Smith
    John, in the three months since you've posted this arrangement, have you been able to locate some decent libraries for saxes, tenor horns, euphoniums, and the like? I have a lot of interest in concert band writing, but without them that's going to be a little difficult in spots. Holst's First Sutie in Eb comes to mind. . .

    Thanks!
    Graham Smith
    Hi Graham, unfortunately not I'm afraid. There are rumblings that Gary may have something in the works which (from what I can glean) will definitely include saxes. For concert band stuff though, like you said, we're still lacking tenor horns and euphs. I have to start on the score and parts for This Glorious Eden 'soon', it's slated for first performance next summer, so I think I'll be winging it for the missing instrumentation. If Gary would release a concert-band addon which covered saxes, horns and euphonium I'd definitely buy it.

    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

    John

  9. #9

    Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    Hello Alan, and thanks both you and Gary for the kind words, much appreciated!

    No problems with a patch list. Bear in mind that these are the track names from the sequencer, but they should line up with the GPO patch names. Cello short bows & bass short bows (all unision with the tubas to give a bit more 'oomf' for the mock-up), piccolo solo V, flute solo V, Ensemble flutes 1 to 3, oboe 1 modern solo, oboe 2 modern solo, bassoon 1 solo, bassoon 2 solo, Bb Clarinet ens 1 & 2, bass clarinet solo, French horn 1 solo, french horn 2 ensembles 1 to 3, french horn overlay, Trumpet 1 solo, Trumpet 2 ensembles 1 to 3, trumpet overlay, trumpet piccolo V solo, tenor trombone solo, tenor trombone ens 3, bass trombone 2, trombone overlay, tuba 1 solo, tuba 2 solo, tuba overlay.
    All are dry samples.
    Hello John.
    Very nice.
    Bravo.
    ...but...
    I would like to see a MIDI file on this and an instrument list if you can.
    Thanks.
    Zelazowa
    Music is love in to my life
    Historiated Majolicals of Gubbio

  10. #10

    Re: 'This Glorious Eden' by John Hawksley

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    Hello Alan, and thanks both you and Gary for the kind words, much appreciated!

    No problems with a patch list. Bear in mind that these are the track names from the sequencer, but they should line up with the GPO patch names. Cello short bows & bass short bows (all unision with the tubas to give a bit more 'oomf' for the mock-up), piccolo solo V, flute solo V, Ensemble flutes 1 to 3, oboe 1 modern solo, oboe 2 modern solo, bassoon 1 solo, bassoon 2 solo, Bb Clarinet ens 1 & 2, bass clarinet solo, French horn 1 solo, french horn 2 ensembles 1 to 3, french horn overlay, Trumpet 1 solo, Trumpet 2 ensembles 1 to 3, trumpet overlay, trumpet piccolo V solo, tenor trombone solo, tenor trombone ens 3, bass trombone 2, trombone overlay, tuba 1 solo, tuba 2 solo, tuba overlay.
    All are dry samples.




    Hello John.
    Very nice.
    Bravo.
    ...but...
    I would like to see a MIDI file on this if you can.
    Thanks.
    Zelazowa
    Music is love in to my life
    Historiated Majolicals of Gubbio

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •