• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hello, and have yourselves an oboe

Share/Bookmark

Smile Hello, and have yourselves an oboe

Hey everyone. It's my first time posting here, and I thought I would start off by offering an oboe refill for Reason. I'm a starving college student who cannot yet afford GPO, so I thought I would play around with the idea of making my own sample libraries. I wasn't satisfied with the oboe included with Reason's Orkester library. So I took the royalty-free oboe samples from the University of Iowa's music department web site, sliced 'em, diced 'em, mapped 'em, looped 'em, and finally tuned them... and many hours later, I have a working 6 MB oboe refill!

http://personal.stthomas.edu/cwmuggl...onableoboe.rfl

For those who would rather not download it, here is a short MP3 demo of the oboe sample:

http://personal.stthomas.edu/cwmugglimil/oboedemo.mp3

Every single note is sampled, and there are three velocity-mapped dynamic levels: pp, mf, and ff. The mod wheel adds vibrato, while aftertouch changes the volume/intensity of the sound.

It's not the best oboe in the world, I know, but I thought that after all the work I did it really doesn't sound too bad and could definitely be useable. The hardest part was finding loop points, and I didn't get all of them perfect, but most people probably won't notice. Just load the one and only patch, called "A Reasonable Oboe", into the NN-XT and play around. Use those controllers!--the added expression really helps the sound--but you sampling veterans probably need not hear that.

This represents considerable hours of my work, but I couldn't ask for payment because the samples are not mine and because I have no prior sample-making experience. I hope this refill can be of use to you. So, Reason users, have at it! What do you think? Am I a sampling stud, or should I best focus my talents on other things? If there is enough demand, (and if time permits,) I may start making refills of the other samples offered at the U of Iowa.

Oh, you may also hear my compositions at my web site:

http://lontas.no-ip.org

Please excuse the quality of the recordings there--they were all made before I ever owned a pair of studio monitors. Keep on tranglin',

Chris

Re: Hello, and have yourselves an oboe

I forgot to mention that the demo song is also contained inside the refill, for those who would like to have a look at it. Also, the song assumes you have the Orkester library installed (you should, unless you manually removed it). Later,

Chris

Welcome to the forums. I really like sound of the Oboe judging by the demo. It's just a shame I dont use reason. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneSim
    Welcome to the forums. I really like sound of the Oboe judging by the demo. It's just a shame I dont use reason. Thanks for sharing.
    Welcome Wayne, and it is indeed a nice oboe. I don't use Reason either, but you're still one hell of a gentleman!

Unhappy Re: Hello, and have yourselves an oboe

Your refill doesn't work in my Reason. It say's Bad format file! Any clue?

Thumbs up Re: Hello, and have yourselves an oboe

Sorry Elfen, I don't know how that happened. I re-uploaded it and it seems to work now. Try downloading it again.

Chris

Thumbs up Re: Hello, and have yourselves an oboe

It's working now! Thank you very much for this patch! I hope to take use of it soon.

SecondPost

Aww, your demo is so cute. If this smiley composed music, that's what it would sound like.

Hi Chris!

Sounds good!
    How about a giga version ;-)
    ...or you could zip the wave files, so that I can program 'em myself

LOL @ SecondPost.

Go Back to forum