• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can you guess who I've stolen these themes from?

Share/Bookmark

Talking Can you guess who I've stolen these themes from?

...because I can't. I assume, though, that they are indeed stolen, or "borrowed"! These days a bona fide original melody is about as common as an undiscovered gold mine...in my backyard...which leads me to believe that every "original" theme hear has in fact been lifted, consciously or not, from the works of other composers! But the question is, which other composers?

Theme 1
    Theme 1 (B Theme)
    Theme 2
    Theme 3
    Theme 4
    Theme 5
    Theme 6
    Theme 7
    Theme 8
    Theme 9

Please note - these are approximations of the themes hastily compiled in a MIDI sequencer.

Re: Can you guess who I've stolen these themes from?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerrabore
    ...because I can't. I assume, though, that they are indeed stolen, or "borrowed"! These days a bona fide original melody is about as common as an undiscovered gold mine...in my backyard...which leads me to believe that every "original" theme hear has in fact been lifted, consciously or not, from the works of other composers! But the question is, which other composers?

Theme 1
    Theme 1 (B Theme)
    Theme 2
    Theme 3
    Theme 4
    Theme 5
    Theme 6
    Theme 7
    Theme 8
    Theme 9

Please note - these are approximations of the themes hastily compiled in a MIDI sequencer.
    Not identical, but certainly reminiscent of:
    Theme 1: Rota's themes for Ben-Hur---I think the beginning of the chariot race
    Theme 2: Sounds a lot like Darth Vader's/Imperial March from Empire Strikes Back, especially in the way the phrases end.

Theme 1: Rota's themes for Ben-Hur---I think the beginning of the chariot race

I think you mean't Rozsa (although Nino Rota was a fine composer in his own right--just not in Rozsa'a league IMO).

Chariot race, eh. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a MIDI of this. Could anybody link me to one?

EDIT: Found a thirty-second MP3 sample. It sounds sort of similar, but it's certainly a different theme. Then again, this was only a sample, not the whole track.
    Last edited by Cerrabore; 06-20-2004 at 02:51 PM. Reason: updated findings

I assume these are original themes from your sketchbook (or else you're playing stump the band ).

1B) The first quarter (and its repeat) sounds very much like the "Love Theme", Across the Stars, from Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones but with simplified rhythm.

2) The distinctive chord movement in this, as stated previously, sounds like a variation on the SW's "Darth Vader" leit-motif.

The rest don't ring any particular potential plagiaristic chimes. Several could serve as film score themes. I like #4.

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    I assume these are original themes from your sketchbook (or else you're playing stump the band ).

1B) The first quarter (and its repeat) sounds very much like the "Love Theme", Across the Stars, from Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones but with simplified rhythm.

2) The distinctive chord movement in this, as stated previously, sounds like a variation on the SW's "Darth Vader" leit-motif.

The rest don't ring any particular potential plagiaristic chimes. Several could serve as film score themes. I like #4.
    1B) Sorta, yeah, but to my knowledge these sorts of vague similarities don't count for plagiarism in the music business.

2) I did have the Imperial March in mind when composing this, originally there was a segment that copied a bit of it note-for-note, but I removed it. I don't think the actual melody is too similar to the March though.

Since everyone is mentioning similarities with Star Wars I will say that I am planning to blend these themes together for an "alternate" Star Wars project, with mostly new characters but some similar elements, such as Jedi. Theme 1 is the main theme, represents the three-five-person main group, not one of them in particular. Theme 2 is the theme for the first bad guy but not for the Empire as a whole. That would be Theme 3. Theme 4 is one Rebel Alliance. Theme 5 is for the Jedi, really only the one Jedi character (introduced only in the last episode). Theme 6 is a march for bad guy #2's battle droids. Theme 7 is the new Rebel Alliance-type thing in the second episode. Theme 8 is bad guy #2 himself. Theme 9 is a kind of heroic "eve of battle" theme that plays only once per episode (maybe twice in the last) and doesn't relate to any specific character. I drew on the second section of "The Patriot" march for it, similar chord structure.

Hopefully the story won't be as bad as that paragraph made it seem.

Damn. I always mess up Rota and Rosza. Sorry about that guys.

Go Back to forum