• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Legato Mode and Kontakt Player

Share/Bookmark

Legato Mode and Kontakt Player

Hi All:

Received GPO yesterday, but my new computer won't arrive for another 5-6 days, so I am reading the User's Manual. At the bottom of page 9 it says:
    "The Kontakt Player defaults automatically to legato mode. To play sustain instruments, such as the piano, "NORMAL SUSTAIN/SOSTENUTO OPERATION" must be selected under OPTIONS/GENERAL. To return to legato mode, the Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal Mode has to be set to the second choice on the list which is "NO SUSTAIN/SOSTENUTO OPERATION, BUT MIDI CONTROLLER. All Kontakt Player instances must be set to the same configuration."

So, does this mean if I am using the piano in one instance of the Kontakt Player (8 instruments), and want it to perform as a normal piano, I cannot use the legato feature with a stringed instrument in the same instance (one of the 8 instruments) or else the piano notes will always sustain (damper down), or the stringed instruments will not be able to use the sustain feature?

This is confusing to me. Hands on may solve the problem, but it reads like a real limitation. Maybe, when using piano, you have to assign instruments to the same "instance" that use normal legato and then go to the next "instance" to assign those you want to play with sustaining legato, like strings?

John Cannon

Re: Legato Mode and Kontakt Player

You almost got it right, only that it is even worse: ALL instances of the Kontankt player share the Sustain pedal settings. This means that you set them ALL to normal mode or midi cc. The 1st instance determines behaviour of the next ones.

Easy workaround: write the piano part first, set kontankt to normal sust.p. mode, render it into an audio file and import that into your midi arragement (don't forget to set the pedal mode back to "midi cc" -> Forgetting this gave me a week of hanging notes and headaches....). Upside: You save voices on polyphony, save memory and ease the CPU load. Downside: It's a bit clumsy and if you need to fix the piano part you need to re-render it.

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    You almost got it right, only that it is even worse: ALL instances of the Kontankt player share the Sustain pedal settings. This means that you set them ALL to normal mode or midi cc. The 1st instance determines behaviour of the next ones.

Easy workaround: write the piano part first, set kontankt to normal sust.p. mode, render it into an audio file and import that into your midi arragement (don't forget to set the pedal mode back to "midi cc" -> Forgetting this gave me a week of hanging notes and headaches....). Upside: You save voices on polyphony, save memory and ease the CPU load. Downside: It's a bit clumsy and if you need to fix the piano part you need to re-render it.
    Easier workaround. Copy your GPO dll file and name it GPO-2 or GPO-Sustain. Then you can open it as a separate player and use sustain without affecting the first player. I can't remember who suggested this, but it works great.

Or, if you have Kontakt, open your sustain instruments in it.

rgb

Hey, this one is a really great workaround!!! I was upset for not been able to work both piano and orchestral parts at the same time in Cubase because of pedaling.

Thank you very much for this tip.

Anton

Where can I find that dll file? (I have a Mac with Panther). I searched and couldn't seem to find it. Thanks for any help as I've been desparate for a workaround!
    - robjohn

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    Where can I find that dll file? (I have a Mac with Panther). I searched and couldn't seem to find it. Thanks for any help as I've been desparate for a workaround!
    - robjohn
    It will be in your sequencer's VST folder... called PersonalOrchestraVST.dll - just rename and set one to sustain, one to legato...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I searched for it but it must be a different file name/type in Mac as it's not there (?) There IS a document file called "PersonalOrchestraRTAS" located in the Logic 6/Plug-in Settings folder. Could this be it? (or does anyone otherwise know what file I should hunt for?)
    Thanks for any help!
    - robjohn

Try:

Macintosch HD-
    library-
    audio-
    plugins-
    vst-

there it is!

Oh!

and in mac it's not .dll but .vst

Aaaaah yes, then there was the dll copying workaround. I apologise: Completely forgot about it.

However if you do it that way: You wont be able to save some of the important polyphony! And you will have less computing power for the rest of the instruments.

So be sure to select the best workaround for each piece. Both work perfectely fine.

Go Back to forum