• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Digital Performer and Logic Tools

Share/Bookmark

Digital Performer and Logic Tools

Since I am switching from Logic to Digital Performer to use GPO, I was wondering if any other Logic users that have switched have used the AMT-8/Unitor-8 MIDI interface with DP. And, also has anyone used the EMI 6/2m as an audio interface. These units are so well designed that I can't imagine them not working--but without my new computer (promised in 5-6 days because of customization--additional RAM, faster spinning HD, etc.), I haven't tried them yet.

Anxious to get it on with GPO....

John

Re: Digital Performer and Logic Tools

Hi John,

First of all, congrats, I think you're going to learn to love DP, especially if as your post implies, you are getting a current generation G5 Mac. In case you don't know about it, there is a DP users group at yahoo groups that is an excellent resource for all things MOTU, both hardware and software:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/motu-mac/

To answer your question, theoretically,with OSX and Core Audio and Core Midi you should have no trouble whatsoever with the eMagic midi and audio devices, as long as they have drivers that play nicely with OSX. Because the new OS took over the midi and audio interface with the hardware, the brand name on the box has become invisible to the application itself.

Trond

John,

I, too am in the process of switching from Logic to DP, so I will be interested in how you're getting along.

And Trond - thanks for the info on the Yahoo/motu forum. I just signed up.

--Another John

Having spent far too much time pouring over the Unicorn Nation forum in the past, I can tell you that you can use almost any interface and soundcard that supports core audio. I would bet that you wouldnÕt have any problems.

Good luck

Karl

Hi trond:

Thanks for the congrats. With your (and others) confidence in DP, I'm sure it will be what I need. Thanks for additional motivation in starting a new program. Gee, after using Finale, Logic, and Sibelius, I never thought I would be venturing into new turf, but for GPO, no hill is too high to climb.

Actually, I'm trying the new Mac 1.5Ghz laptop with 1G of RAM first. I say first, because I will need a new studio (stationary) computer soon. Now, that the G5s have come way down in price with the new 2.5+Ghz, it will be less of an investment than I originally thought. I do need a mobile orchestra though for demos and consulting (teaching), so the fastest laptop that Mac now has on the market should be satisfactory for awhile.

Thanks for the MOTU info. I will join ASAP.

John (a formal name that no-one has ever called me. I actually go by "Jack.")

First of all, congrats, I think you're going to learn to love DP, especially if as your post implies, you are getting a current generation G5 Mac. In case you don't know about it, there is a DP users group at yahoo groups that is an excellent resource for all things MOTU, both hardware and software:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/motu-mac/

To answer your question, theoretically,with OSX and Core Audio and Core Midi you should have no trouble whatsoever with the eMagic midi and audio devices, as long as they have drivers that play nicely with OSX. Because the new OS took over the midi and audio interface with the hardware, the brand name on the box has become invisible to the application itself.

Trond[/QUOTE]

I just used DP 4.12 today for the first time in about 5 years. I think 2.4 is the last version I used but it used to be my main sequencer. I need to re-aquaint myself because I have signed up for a film scoring workshop that uses either DP or Logic.

After using this program today for 4 hours I am still clueless!

I needed to change the time signature to 6/8, and after hunting around for 30 minutes in the menus (and failing) I finally (eek) consulted the manual. BUT THERE IS NOTHING IN THE INDEX UNDER TIME SIGNATURES!!

So I waded through the tomb for another 10 minutes and finally found it under "C" for Change Time Signature (pretty lame?!?) Such a simple thing.

I am finding this a very counter-intuitive program, AND I HAVE SPENT GAZZIONS OF HOURS WITH DP ON EARLIER VERIONS!!

I am majorly struggling with things like cursor control, grids, scrolling (can't get my scroll wheel to work with it) sizing windows and other kind of basic things.

Just want to warn you that I think there is a pretty high learning curve on DP, but I have heard the same about Logic.

I was flying in Reason after about 30 minutes and never had to read the manual.

Maybe after I sleep on it, it will make more sense.

DP uses the nomenclature "meter" change, not time signature change. Easiest thing to remember is to open the Event List for the conductor track - there, under the "I" (insert) submenu, you'll find all the commands for changing key, meter and tempo.

Trond

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    DP uses the nomenclature "meter" change, not time signature change. Easiest thing to remember is to open the Event List for the conductor track - there, under the "I" (insert) submenu, you'll find all the commands for changing key, meter and tempo.

Trond
    Yeah, I did figure this out eventually. Worked with it today for about 4 more hours and is getting better. Especially once I found out that the only way to get the scrub/play button to go where you want is to place it on the tiny space near your conductor track. WHEW! I was going nuts on that one!

I am sure once I spend some more time with it, I will like it, but it has been slow going. 8 hours and I feel like have only scratched the surface, and there will be many hours spent reading the manual. But it is a more powerful sequencing program than PT and Reason, no doubt. It only makes sense that the power means complexity.

Glad to hear it's getting better. DP is deep, for sure, but also quite straightforward once you've spent a little time with it. There's good reason that so many of the Hollywood guys use DP. The biggest hurdle at the outset is learning the new vocabulary. Once you have that, DP's manual is the best there is, in my opinion, with a very substantial and useful Index. (You should see Logic Pro's manual, it's a joke. The index is pretty much useless.)

In DP there's a nifty "Key Command" for getting the wiper (scrub/play button) to go where you want. Keyboard shortcut: "." (Decimal) then "digits" (the number of the measure you want it to be at) then "Enter". Saves a ton of time.

There are a few other custom Key Commands (shortcuts) that I use constantly, for midi editing (changing continuous controllers, velocities or durations)

Option-C: brings up the 'change continuous controller' edit menu
    Option-V: brings up the 'change velocity' menu
    Option-D: brings up the 'change durations' menu.

You can program these, then save your custom 'key bindings'.

Trond

Glad to hear it's getting better. DP is deep, for sure, but also quite straightforward once you've spent a little time with it. There's good reason that so many of the Hollywood guys use DP. The biggest hurdle at the outset is learning the new vocabulary. Once you have that, DP's manual is the best there is, in my opinion, with a very substantial and useful Index. (You should see Logic Pro's manual, it's a joke. The index is pretty much useless.)

In DP there's a nifty "Key Command" for getting the wiper (scrub/play button) to go where you want. Try these on the numeric keypad: "." (Decimal) then "digits" (the number of the measure you want it to be at) then "Enter". Bingo, the wiper appears at the measure number that you input. Saves a ton of time.

There are a few other custom Key Commands (shortcuts) that I use constantly, for midi editing (changing continuous controllers, velocities or durations). These are way-powerful and useful edit menus: First you select the track section, or notes, to be edited, then:

Option-C: brings up the 'change continuous controller' edit menu
    Option-V: brings up the 'change velocity' menu
    Option-D: brings up the 'change durations' menu.

You can program these, then save them as your custom 'key bindings'.

Trond

Go Back to forum