• Register
  • Help

Topic: Big-band jazz

Share/Bookmark

Big-band jazz

Are there any big-band jazz fans in this group? If so, here is my "Teddy Bears' Nightmare":

Thanks for allowing me to be a member.

Regards,

Larry A.

Re: Big-band jazz

Very interesting take on Teddy Bears Picnic (that is right isn't it?). I can't wait to get home and really listen to it. The speakers here at work are too crummy to comment much. Glad you like it here on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Very interesting take on Teddy Bears Picnic (that is right isn't it?). I can't wait to get home and really listen to it. The speakers here at work are too crummy to comment much. Glad you like it here on the forum!
    No, it's not actually based on "Teddy Bear's Picnic". I merely used the same rhythmic, 6/8 feel of "...Picnic" in my composition.

Regards,

Larry A.

Yes, I agree with Mr. Burrell quite interesting! May I asked what you used for sound source and was GPO involved? Very cool!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Yes, I agree with Mr. Burrell quite interesting! May I asked what you used for sound source and was GPO involved? Very cool!
    I utilize an old outboard synth called "The Summit" which uses a Kurzweil engine. I also have a rackmounted Emu Proteus 2000 synthesizer and various studio "toys".

"Teddy Bear's Nightmare" is comprised of GPO strings and flutes plus Summit patches. The overall composition has an unpleasant "muddy" sound. I am working to improve it and to avoid this effect in future works.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Best regards,

Larry A.

[QUOTE=Larry G. Alexander]The overall composition has an unpleasant "muddy" sound.QUOTE]

This is a really neat composition. Lot's of great musical ideas.

It sounded to me like every note was programmed to play it's loudest velocity, which means if they are multi-samples, you are geting the most agressive, loudest sound all of the time, and this might contribute to the problem you mentioned above. There were some sections that musically sounded lighter. Changing the velocities would give some nice dynamic blend.

It is cool though!

Definitely worth tweaking!!

[QUOTE=dubaifox]
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    The overall composition has an unpleasant "muddy" sound.QUOTE]

This is a really neat composition. Lot's of great musical ideas.

It sounded to me like every note was programmed to play it's loudest velocity, which means if they are multi-samples, you are geting the most agressive, loudest sound all of the time, and this might contribute to the problem you mentioned above. There were some sections that musically sounded lighter. Changing the velocities would give some nice dynamic blend.

It is cool though!

Definitely worth tweaking!!

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate them!

I agree. I don't use enough contrasts in dynamics.

Regards,

Larry A.

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your music.

I enjoyed your "Teddy Bear's Nightmare". I am very familiar with "The Summit" by AVM which was a fabulous module during its day. GPO works a little differently and it seems like your becoming a meastro very quickly.

Looking forward to hearing more of your music.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your music.

I enjoyed your "Teddy Bear's Nightmare". I am very familiar with "The Summit" by AVM which was a fabulous module during its day. GPO works a little differently and it seems like your becoming a meastro very quickly.

Looking forward to hearing more of your music.

Gary Garritan

Thanks, Mr. G.,

I appreciate your comments.

I also wish to thank you for your courtesy during my recent telephone call to you. You showed patience and kindness to this "sample newbie".

Congratulations for such a fine product as GPO and much success to you in the future!

Best regards,

Larry G. Alexander

Go Back to forum