• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Eddie Gomez-style Bass

Share/Bookmark

Question Eddie Gomez-style Bass

Although Triolgy has been serving me excellently over the past year, I'm currently in search of an acoustic bass sound reminiscent of Eddie Gomez during the '70s-'80s---like the stuff he did with Chick Corea circa "Mad Hatter" and "Three Quartets." (A little "whiny"...).
    I'm aware of the Dan Dean and Larry Seyer basses (don't have either, but I recall having heard and enjoying them), but I was wondering what else might be out there...Or will one of those fit the bill? Thanks.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Eddie Gomez-style Bass

Eddie Gomez...yeah, man. His playing on Mad Hatter is one of the things that makes that album really go.

After plucking through Dear Alice on both of the basses you mention, the Seyer is actually a lot closer to that Eddie Gomez "whine" than the DD Acoustic Bass, which is more woody and thumpy/attack oriented. In fact, I think if I were to do just a bit of filtering, it would be very close to that sound. The Seyer is definitely much more towards that sustaining type of acoustic bass sound than the woody-thumpy. Pitch wheel is set too sensitive (P4 range) out of the box to be of much vibrato use, but if you edit the range to one semitone and ride the wheel delicately you can get that quick Gomez-type vibrato, and it sounds pretty good.

Thanks, guys.

Brash might be what I'm looking for. There's a certain hard-to-describe wide and slightly buzzy sound (maybe a result of using a direct box?) that I tend to associate with that 70s-early 80s era. (It kind of fell out of favor after Marsalis and the other jazz neo-cons hit the scene.) Much more expansive than the earlier Gomez sound, like when he was with Bill Evans, which I find far more "polite." (Trilogy has got those basses covered). I just dropped about a grand on new samples and VIs this month, so I'm not too sure about the viability of a ($3-400?) Majestic purchase at this particular juncture...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I've got the Seyer bass, and to me, it's more on the brash side. I think of Eddie Gomez's playing as being quite sensitive. It might be hard to capture that intricacy with a sampled product.
    I am dialing in some different filtering, and you can definitely take a little edge off the attack to advantage. I never realized how "tweaked" this particular library was until I just got into it. I'm going to save off a version back to raw samples, and see what happens if I build it from the ground up.

Waves TransX also smooths it out, so one might want to try patching one of those into the chain on their DAW or on some future version of Giga.

I also discovered a lot of material in there that might make for some interesting alternate mappings. There are lots of samples, and some of the releases are mapped so low that I haven't been hitting them very often. I already got a smoother patch, something that really recedes and plays very deep. Opposite of Eddie Gomez, though, very dark and deep without a lot of mids unless you really pop it.

Eddie Gomez is a friend of mine. I think he will be pleased with this interest in his sound.

Ed

What about the John Pattitucci (extra Ts in there?) bass in Spectrasonics' Bass Legends? I haven't heard it or Mad Hatter for a while (haven't converted the lib to EXS and haven't plugged in my turntable), but it might be the right sort of sound.

Yeah...I think that the Bass Legends Patitucci Acoustic might be just the ticket for that sound. It's more agressive than the Trilogy Upright, but not as intense or bright as the Seyer Bass.

We intentionally went with a really different type of Acoustic sound on Trilogy, since we already had the Patitucci sound in our catalog....precisely so that you'd have different basses for different approaches.

spectrum

Thanks, Eric.

How could I forget good old Spectrasonics?!?

Given the fact that I've never been less than floored by any of your libraries (and now VIs), and since I haven't yet made my yearly tithe to Spectrasonics ,there's a strong chance I'll be going with the Patitucci...

And while you're here, let me just tell you: I'm ANXIOUSLY awaiting Stylus RMX. It'll be supporting REX2 files, right? I know you're usually pretty tight-lipped when it comes to revealing your coming attractions, but perhaps could you tell me: Will we be able to load REX files and then change the tuning like in Groove Control? (Even being able to retune a whole loop would be terribly useful for me.) If so, that would be fantastic! (I understand if you're not at liberty to answer at this point in time...)

The answer is an emphatic YES (and much much more than that....)

:-)

spectrum

Talking Re: Eddie Gomez-style Bass

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    The answer is an emphatic YES (and much much more than that....)

:-)

spectrum
    And an emphatic YAY from me...

YAY!!!
    Jan Nemecek
    www.jannemecek.net

Go Back to forum