• Register
  • Help

Topic: Realistic Guitar Libraries?

Share/Bookmark

Realistic Guitar Libraries?

Hi Everyone,
    Newbie here, I have a question I was hoping to get some feedback on. Im after a high quality electric guitar sample library to use preferably with Kontakt (Giga is also fine). I tried Zimmer guitars and its really not up to the job, Im after something that I could actually sell as a real guitar! Does such a product exsist? If not, why do you think that is - what is it about the instrument that defies sampling?

Re: Realistic Guitar Libraries?

Quote Originally Posted by tee boy
    Hi Everyone,
    Newbie here, I have a question I was hoping to get some feedback on. Im after a high quality electric guitar sample library to use preferably with Kontakt (Giga is also fine). I tried Zimmer guitars and its really not up to the job, Im after something that I could actually sell as a real guitar! Does such a product exsist? If not, why do you think that is - what is it about the instrument that defies sampling?
    Hi.

I think that one problem with the electric guitar, when it comes to sampling it, is the fact that when you play a chord on the real thing, the signal that comes out from the mikes are the result of the combined signal from all strings put together. If you play a chord using samples, where each sample are a separate note, you don't get the same result, it simply doesn't sound right.
    A electric guitar are also played through some kind of amp, and that to adds it's behavour to the sound.
    Also, when playing the guitar, the player can add so much extra, like slides, pull off's, hammer ons, bending, different kinds of vibratos and legatos and even mistakes that adds to the realism and the way we are used to hearing a guitar.

There are some good samples out there, but in my opinion, electric guitar are, together with saxophone, instruments that are very hard to sample.
    Both because of playing techniques and the way the tone is created
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Yeh, I see your point. I guess it would take one whole lotta key switching to make it sound anything like convincing. I suppose there is a great opportunity for someone to crack this though, I bet it would be uber successful (hint to any developers ). I know I've been searching for ages to find a decent library, but it seems that there simply isnt one to date.

Quote Originally Posted by tee boy
    Yeh, I see your point. I guess it would take one whole lotta key switching to make it sound anything like convincing. I suppose there is a great opportunity for someone to crack this though, I bet it would be uber successful (hint to any developers ). I know I've been searching for ages to find a decent library, but it seems that there simply isnt one to date.
    Well, being a guitarist myself, I've been thinking about this, and I actually have some theories that I want to try out. GS3 will give us a great tool for realising some of the ideas that I have. Also, since GS3 works with Rewire, you can use all these nice amp simulators!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Sounds interesting, I might actually have a crack myself. I have a fair collection of guitars, and plenty of time on my hands! Do you think GS3 is up to making it work in realtime played on the keyboard? I usually end up programming sample based parts, but I'd like to be able to play this stuff live. Guess thats asking a bit much though...

What about EW 56 Strat through an amp sim? Or VSL's Overdrive? They may not be the ultimate sample libs (as no one in any guitarist's point of view - especially the lead guitarist in my band - will achieve this anytime this millenium), but they may turn out to be useful in specific scenarios. I've been experimenting with the 56 Strat through the tc powercore amp sim. Though I'm no guitar player, I like what hear so far. I'll probably post my experiment sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Hi, please check out our Giga Clean Electric Guitars collection ,I tend to agree that it's hard to capture a electric guitar with all it's subtilities but it is not impossible to create a user friendly intuitive way to make realistic sounding tracks.

Check out the demos and info on the library as well as a review from Sound on SOund magazine + a sound clip created by the author of the review on our site www.vintaudio.com

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio

IMO, the best way to get a great sounding electric guitars with samples is to use guitar amp simulator plug-ins. The Best one imo is AmpliTube. On special here http://www.mtlc.net/main.php?a=Produ...Item=728&b=All. It can make cheap guitar samples sound really good.

As far as acoustic guitars. Play a real one .

I have also heard great things about the 2 guitar libaries from VSL.

As far as modern rock guitar sounds, chords, etc. I'm in the final stages of releasing a collection. It will feature guitar, bass, drums. As of right now the price is probably going to be free, or donation ware. No website yet, but soon...

Thumbs up Re: Realistic Guitar Libraries?

It's not a "new" guitar library by any means..... but the "EastWest Quantum Leap Guitars & Basses" is a pretty cool collection.
    Check it out
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...l?sku=QLGBGS-1

Go Back to forum