• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help Identifying this sound...

Share/Bookmark

Help Identifying this sound...

Hey everyone.

I've been asked to do some programming on a project, and on one of the songs, they'd like me to go in the direction of the Kelly Clarkson song "Low".

I noticed that it had the same pulsing eighth note sound found in the Avril Lavigne song "Losing Grip".

It's kind of like a crunchy guitar, but with the attack of a "keyboard" sound, and it sounds like there's some filter movement going on as well.

Would you guys mind listening to these edited mp3's (where the sound is prevalent), and let me know if you recognize it coming from a particular synth, soft synth, etc, or if you can suggest a way to achieve it.

Normally I'm pretty good at identifying sound sources, or at least figuring out a way to mimic something. This one has me a bit baffled...

https://home.comcast.net/~jim.frazier/mp3/LowX.mp3

https://home.comcast.net/~jim.frazier/mp3/AvrilX.mp3

Thanks, as always...

Re: Help Identifying this sound...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    It's kind of like a crunchy guitar, but with the attack of a "keyboard" sound, and it sounds like there's some filter movement going on as well.

Would you guys mind listening to these edited mp3's (where the sound is prevalent), and let me know if you recognize it coming from a particular synth, soft synth, etc, or if you can suggest a way to achieve it.
    Hi,

sounds a bit like a small string ensemble playing martelé to me, could be triggered through a sampler and/or edited aswell though. The filtered sound in the second example is a separate synth bass line.

I remember a preset on the Korg Prophecy that had a similar sound, at least when chopped up appropriately. IIRC, it was simply called "ensemble", though I'm not too sure about that. Gonna check tomorrow...

Cheers,
    jan

If you'd asked me 10 years ago, I would have said 'some kind of FM synth piano', but these days there are so many synths out there that can do this kind of edgy/honky sounding digital piano sound that I'd hate to commit to it. I'm sure you could get very close with an old DX, or the FM7 plugin. If you use an FM source, what you hear as filter movement may just be velocity routed to the main modulating operator, or even something as simple as a slightr chorus or phase.

Low = honky tonk piano/fm synth EQd heavily or a regular piano with a phase effect on it.

Losing Grip - medium distorted piano (with amp/speaker sim) with slow attack and with a delay (sounds like the delay is in line before the amp sim too as the sound seems to slightly get lesss saturated, but it might be an aux). It sounds like a guitar at first but its definitely a piano/keyboard.

I'd use a piano as your starting point and do things like write a pulsing/slightly stacatto line, then try tremolo effects, distortion, phasers, maybe even a gate after the tremolo.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Lightbulb Re: Help Identifying this sound...

Thanks for the replies...

I agree it has a "piano-esque" quality to it. Chadwick and King both mentioned an FM piano. I hadn't thought of that yet.

I've been looking for a reason to get NI's FM7. If you guys feel relatively sure I could get close to that sound with that, I'll go ahead and get it.

Go ahead, twist my arm...

Thanks again. If anyone else wants to take a stab at this, I'm all ears.

I would bet it's a distorted guitar chord sustained...

You can get pretty close to that by putting a noise gate with a side chain on the guitar track, then trigger the gate with a loop or other ryhthmic source. Thus, you sort of give a rhythm to a sustained guitar chord. It's a cool thing to try and I'm pretty sure that's what they did...

Jeff

Why not try the FM7 demo?
    There's probably a sound amongst the presets which is a good starting point:
    http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?fm7pcdemo_us

the more I listen to it the more I'm convinced its not a guitar. To me its definitely a synth/sample mic'd through an amp sim. Supposed to sound like a guitar but not a guitar.

Using a gate with a side chain on this would do the trick to, like dominion mentioned, but the underlying sound is just too "glassy" to be a guitar IMO. I mean maybe with a telecastor, or a danelectro, but with today's pop starts being crafted the way they are...I wouldnt expect any producer to go through the trouble,...plus it sounds too "perfect" (tho yah, get one perfect bar and loop it would work . The performance has more going on than a sustained chord too. With delays its possible,...but see below about my thoughts on delays in this sucker.

I'd be willing to accept it was a guitar if the people who did it told me flat out that it was .

maybe its a vocoded guitar, with a piano carrier that would do it .... or would it be the other way around...haha yah prolly

hehee, in the end theres alot of ways to go about making this "type" sound. The Low example I'd definitly just take a piano, make it mono/collapse the feid and then take a delay and make the signal phase with itself till you get that sond (or jsut throw a phaseer on it and make the modulation super slow.....but some phaser effects jsut have too much character, and movement).

(BTW, I'm listening on those super weird SONY in ear cancel outside noise, and create fake bass headphones...so I might jsut be hearing a weird artifact....

maybe I'll go to the blue sky's and check......nah, I'm too lazy

and yah, I know it sounds like I'm over analyzing and getting into this too mcuh.....but I love this kidn of stuff....it tends to remind me you can do SO MANY weird things to sounds.... and I kinda like that

oh and my comment about the delays earlier, its possible that the delay being used in the avril song is ducked, and isnt going on during hte main part of the phrase, since everthing seems pretty static volume wise, until it stops.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

I think its a guitar chord chopped with a midi gate. Nice effect!

I agree with KingIdiot. As a guitarist, I am convinced that this is not a guitar. A chopped up guitar would have slightly different attack characteristics. It rather sounds like a piano or e-piano routed through some kind of distortion.

Go Back to forum