• Register
  • Help

Topic: Max. sample-number: CPU/mem/HD-speed and OS influence?

Share/Bookmark

Max. sample-number: CPU/mem/HD-speed and OS influence?

Hi there,

Two things move me these days:

1. I wonder, if the amount of RAM GS reserves per sample differs when using a system with more CPU-power, faster memory-transfer (SD/DDR-Ram) and/or faster HD-transfer-rates. Is there any profiling, e.g. while GS-setup that would estimate the RAM-per-sample-space needed individually for each system?

2. Has anybody compared the maximum amount of samples loadable under Win 98 and Win 2k? Is there any difference in capacity at hardware-sides identical systems? Please mention your CPU, memory, HD and mobo in case (since I don\'t know exactly, what matters - see 1.).

I would be very happy, if you could give me and all the others intrested in increasing there sample-power some helpful hints (developers? beta crew? GS-sound-designer?).

Roman Beilharz

Re: Max. sample-number: CPU/mem/HD-speed and OS influence?

Perhaps you should rephrase your question, for a lot of us it\'s not quite clear what you would like to know. If it runs good, it\'s good. Difficult questions is not giving answers. It\'s always been this way

Cheers,
    PDG

I can pretty safely answer NO to question 1. I think the answer is NO to question 2 too, assuming that your OS has the same amount of RAM available after bootup.

Pendragon,

I am sorry, that my question was obviously not clear enough for everybody:

My point is, that I\'d like to increase the maximum sample-number my GS-machine is able to load and play, ALTHOUGH everything runs perfect (under Win 98SE).

Therefore I wonder, if I could maximize the capacity OTHER than extending my RAM to, let\'s say 1256 MB; which the 98SE-system is not able to handle any more. I then had to switch to Win 2k and I am a little anxious about giving up a running system.

Roman

Dear,

Worry less
    Maximize ram (let\'s say 1 gig)
    Keep win98se, since it works.

success,

GigaStudio is setup to load the first 2 seconds of each sample in RAM. They probably have a good reason for this amount. A shorter time may cause glitches as it sets up to stream the rest of the sample off the hard drive. If you want more samples, you need to add more memory.

A faster CPU is not going to allow you to load more samples. It may allow you to have more polyphony with less glitches.

The different operating systems will change the amount of samples you can load. Win XP and Win2K use more memory that Win 98 for example. I don\'t think it will be a large difference though.

Go Back to forum