• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will this cause my computer to blow up?

Share/Bookmark
    SecondPost

Will this cause my computer to blow up?

I've recently purchased a quiter fan set and some case padding to help me from going insane. Unfortunately, they don't work as well as I'd hoped. So, I'm contemplating building a big wooden box to put my computer in. It would have about a 6 inches free space in the back of the comptuer, and maybe 2 inches on the sides, then I was thinking in the front I would just have a thick sheet that hung down. That way I could access my cd/dvd drives and turn the computer on with relative ease. There wouldn't be any ventilation though (except for a small hole in the very back for plugs to go through). Is this a good idea or will my computer overheat?!

SecondPost

Re: Will this cause my computer to blow up?

Mmmm.... I see... I searched for Iso boxes, and they're all ridiculously expensive. (I could upgrade to EWQLSO Gold for that price!) I don't see why putting my computer in a box would really make much difference, as long as I allow a little bit of room, and the fans are working properly. It wouldn't be any different than if I lived in an enviroment where it was 90+ degrees all the time would it? Surely there is some one who uses a computer in Saudi Arabia, in a house without air conditioning, and the temperature would be just the same as that inside my little computer's box.

(If anyone definitely knows for sure that this is a very bad idea, feel free to just say, "Shut up. No. Forget it. You'll ruin your computer.")

Well, personally I don´t like the idea, although I have seen it before.
    I still think that the best solution is a quiet cooling system. Why don´t you try water cooling? Its still expensive, but it a far better option than putting your computer in a wooden box.
    I found a very cheap and effective way to keep my computer quiet. Its very simple.
    I have an Athlon XP 2 Ghz. I bought a regular copper cooler and replaced the fan for a low noise font fan, wich has a lower RPM. As the fans used for fonts are larger, its compensates very well for their lower rotation speed, because the area of the air output is larger, and if the heat dissipator is really good, you may actually experience lower temperatures than a regular cooler.
    If you are going to try this, remember to replace the fan and monitor the temperature for at least half an hour before starting to use your computer normaly. The temperature of your processor should not be greater than 60 Celsius by any chance. If it does, forget the idea.

Good Luck!

What do you currently have in your computer (CPU, motherboard, etc)? What quiet components did you purchase?

Does your video card have a noisy fan (many are in the 45 db range)?

Do you have extra unneccesary case fans? Many systems have extra fans that actually make the system run hotter! I unplugged the case fan in one of my systems and the system ran 10 degrees cooler.

SecondPost

I have an AMD Athlon 2400+, 2.0 ghz, 1 GB of RAM. It's not a super, powerhouse of a machine, but I'm not a great orchestrator yet, so for my simple little pieces, it works wonderfully.

I purchased this: http://www.quietpcusa.com/acb/showde...ID=135&CATID=6

And this: http://www.quietpcusa.com/acb/showde..._ID=32&CATID=6

Those are the only fans I have on my computer. I even took off a very small little fan, though it didn't seem to cause a problem. (And geez that little thing was obnoxious. I hope it's burning in fan hell right now >:[ ) Maybe I should try unplugging the case fan that came with the "quiet package". The CPU fan and the power drive fan might be enough...

Anyways, those products, I admit, made my computer more quiet, for sure. But it's still rather obnoxiously loud at times. In particular, there is a very, very high pitched, dog-whistle type noise that comes from the front. But wrapping the front in a thick blanket helps with that. (Though it's annoying accessing the drives) I don't even mind the low fan noise all that much anymore. I can get used to it, I'm sure.

Although at times when I'm really annoyed, I'll turn off my computer, and then, having been amazed by the "true" silence, will say "That!!!! Is what I @#$%ing want!!!" But that "true" silence is always interrupted by gang-banger wanna-be's driving by blasting rap music, or people honking car horns, anyways.

So, I should probably be grateful that I have this relative silence, quit complaining, and get back to studying my sixteenth-century boring counterpoint.

If I absolutely can not stand it anymore, I will do what Lee suggested, and get longer cables, then put my comp in the closet. Oh, that would be nice.

The CPU fan in that kit is a little louder than the Zalman fan - probably about 6 db but that can make a difference. Try popping your cover and see which fan is causing the high pitched sound. You may have a defective fan.

My main machine only has power supply and CPU fans and I can barely hear it.

One thing you can do is let your system warm up and then see what the CPU and motherboard temp is (either with a monitoring program that runs in Windows or in the BIOS). Disconnect the case fan and run the same test making sure you let the system warm up by putting a load on it.

Go Back to forum