• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt Player Volume

Question Kontakt Player Volume

Hello all.
    After lurking for several weeks, I finally bought GPO and I am very pleased with the quality of the samples.

I am using Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 (though I just purchased the upgrade to sonar 3, but haven't installed it yet). Other specs: p4 1.6ghz, 1gig ram, xp pro.

I am using GPO as a Dxi plugin.

Because I am new to the library, I want to be sure that I am "doing it right". I understand that the mod wheel adjusts the volume of what you are playing. However, several of the samples have low volumes on the Kontakt player. Even with the mod wheel all the way up, I still find the sounds too soft. I then turn the volume up on the Kontakt player a bit, and it is better. For example, the Strad Solo (wet) starts at -6db. The Bassoon starts at something like -18db.
    Do you find it necesessary to adjust the kontakt player? Should they general volume of the sound be adjusted during the mix instead?
    Thank you for all of your help and advice.

Re: Kontakt Player Volume

I think you found something that needs a bit of tweaking. Yes, you need to adjust the volumes of some instruments manually, e.g.: I always wondered why I NEVER could hear my Violas playing but after checking the Kontakt settings I found out that they default to -12dB (all other Stringed Instruments default to -6).

So be careful to set the volumes roughly in the Kontakt player, then a bit finer in the Mixer and after bouncing your work down to audio files of each section do some tweaking. That works best for me.

Re: Kontakt Player Volume

Thanks Musicpete!

Go Back to forum