• Register
  • Help

Topic: Oddities importing GOS Lite into Halion

Talking Oddities importing GOS Lite into Halion

Woo! First, err, third post! But first question!! Now I'm a cross-poster - I just put this in the Garritan forum, then noticed that the Halion forum is now live! Anyway,

[cut and paste]
    I finally tried importing GOS Lite into Halion (no problems), but the patches/programs with mod-wheel controlled cross-fades are odd...

ex) Violas Lite
    for the patch Vla SusNV EXP Lite, I get:
    1) mod wheel = 0, the DCA volume for the samples are around -28 to -30 db
    2) mod wheel = 127, DCA volume for the samples are around 0 to -4 db
    the xfade curves look ok, but the volumes are whacky.

- Very similar results for anything labeled as an EXP type of patch.
    - For all others (w/out any mod wheel xfades, volumes are 0 to -5 db, depending on the sample).
    - Keyswitched patches look ok for volume and correct key switches.

I mean, fairly easy for me to fix/save, but now I'm doubting myself & the import. So here are my quick questions...

1) Are the small variations in sample volume (within a patch) to be expected? i.e. One or two samples at -3, -4 db, most others at 0db

2) For the mod-wheel xfade patches, any guidance on what volumes should be used for mod-wheel = 0, mod-wheel = 127? or should I just set everything to 0db and move on? It doesn't sound too bad when I do that, but I thought I might be ruining GOS settings that someone slaved over...

3) Can anyone else confirm this? I don't have Giga, so I don't have a reference point. Normally, I would suspect Halion, but this latest version seems to actually work well (finally) for other Giga libraries that I have.

I'm sure you guys already have Halion 3 but I'm just sitting on the pre-order list, so if things work better in Halion 3, I can live with that. This post is more just an FYI, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again to GG for offering the discounted GOS Lite during one of his dazed moments. Pretty darn handy when used along w/ GPO.

Halion v2.0.3.5 (much improved Giga support)
    Cubase SX
    Windows XP Pro

Re: Oddities importing GOS Lite into Halion

I've played the EXP patches and they seemed okay but I haven't actually checked the volume of each sample, tell me how and I'll see if I get the same results as you.

Have you noticed a strange noise in the sample of the highest key of the marcato cello, I can't use it at all.

To check volumes for samples:

For any of the EXP patches, click on Env/Filter page, then, in the upper right corner, click on Absolute to toggle to Relative, and All to toggle to Select -- this will put you in Multi sample mode with Relative and Select active.

Expand the patch by clicking the + on the main folder, then expand the two NoteOn-XFade subfolders. The first subfolder holds the samples for mod-wheel low, and the other has the mod wheel high samples.

Expand those two folders and you'll see all the samples. Highlight the first sample in the first folder and then repeatedly press the down-arrow to run through the samples. Watch the Volume setting in the DCA section as you do this and you'll see (I hope) that the knob will flip around to the db setting for each sample.

For me, the first folder (mod wheel low) has everything almost silent (averages - 28 db), so I think I'm really just hearing the second folder fade in/out as I move the mod wheel up/down.

re: marcato cello -- I see what you mean. With the patch "Cellos Marcato lite.fxp", I get a little click on B4/C4 when its in Halion, (37f7kC5.wav). There is a little discontinuity in the right channel around sample 6143 -- if you have a sample editor, you can edit one or two samples around that area and get rid of it.. you'll never know

I followed your directions and tried this with 3 differents patches. Here's what I noticed:

1st Vlns SusV EXP Lite- 1st folder all -28 2nd folder all 0dB.

Cellos SusRich EXP Lite- 1st folder between -32 and -28dB, 2nd folder between -8 and 0dB.

FullStrings SusV EXP Lite- 1st folder between -34 and -28dB, 2nd folder between -7 and 0 dB.

When I play the programs the volume is consistent across the range so I'm pretty sure the programming was translated correctly from the Giga format.

Thanks for the tip regarding that click in the cello sample, I opened it in a sample editor and fixed the problem. How did you ever find which sample was causing the problem? Thanks again.

Hmm.. I guess. -30db is practically silence in my book I think I'm just hearing the second folder... right click and mute that second folder and see what you think as you spin the mod wheel.

re: finding that click portion of the sample... I used the sample editor in Cubase SX -- it lets you scrub back and forth around a suspect area and listen, so you can get pretty close before zooming in to the sample level. When you zoom in, clicks usually look like an abrupt change in sample value -- it will stand out pretty clearly and look unnatural. In the sample editor, there is a "ruler" that shows which sample it is...

If there are any other Halion users goofing around w/ GOS Lite, feel free to let us know how things are going!

Go Back to forum