• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Percussion samples

Share/Bookmark

Percussion samples

Periodically, I have been in a local digital studio doing percussion samples with a friend of mine who happens to own the studio.
    We plan on making these available to GPO users ASAP. It is a lot of work and I am finding my chops are in need of "re-chopping."

Question: What is it you would like to see and have in a percussion library?

Any input would be strongly noted.
    Tanks!
    Styxx

Re: Percussion samples

Sal,

In addition to what's contained in GPO:

Temple blocks (soft and hard mallets)

Wood Blocks (soft and hard mallets)

Dobaci (Japanese cup gongs) Hard to find, I know, but very cool.

Various sirens

A few different anvils

Full set of Paddle Drums

Good Bongo and Conga samples with different sticks (and hands, of course).

Vibs played with a bow.

Steel drums.

That's all I can think of at the moment. -Chad

Ahhh....how 'bout some tom toms.

Suspended cymbals with soft mallets; rolls and single hits.
    Tom-toms.
    A field drum; single hits and rolls.
    Brake drums.
    Claves.

That's all I can think of right now. More will occur to me the second I log off. Thanks for doing this!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Being interested in flamenco, I'd love to have hand clapping samples! Sharply staccato hand clapping, both soft and loud. (One hit per sample, using the fingers of one hand against the palm of the other.) Heel stamping on a hardwood floor would be good too. (But don't throw your back out! )

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx

Y'know, this isn't particularly exotic... but the one thing that GPO is missing that's really important in my work is your basic drum kit, keymapped like all those GM modules. The orchestral percussion is great, but it doesn't work with my files that have GM drum tracks, or with my tools for making drum tracks. It would be nice to have that within GPO instead of having to use a different source for drum kit.

Sometimes, it's the little things.

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Periodically, I have been in a local digital studio doing percussion samples with a friend of mine who happens to own the studio.
    We plan on making these available to GPO users ASAP. It is a lot of work and I am finding my chops are in need of "re-chopping."

Any input would be strongly noted.
    Tanks!
    Gary & his team did a pretty good initial job. The following additions would complete most orchestral needs:

Suspended cymbal with wire brush
    Snare drum with wire brush
    Pair (minimum) woodblocks and/or temple blocks
    Pair (minimum) tom-toms
    Slapstick or whip
    Anvil
    Thundersheet (to go with the wind machine )

The sound of a VW Bug being dropped onto pavement from heights:
    10', 20', 100', 1000'. (different perspectives, multisampled with keyswitching please)

Bell tree. Lots of people do wind chimes, few do bell trees.

In regards to wind chimes, it'd be nice to have one sample that would just go up and down, up and down, nice and slow until you release. Granted, I could create this out of samples I already have, but if you're just looking for something to throw out

As a side note - Westgate has a collection of free Perc samples that i have found to be an excellent addition to the GPO collection. I often find myself using aux perc from Westgate before I use LOP!!

Another interesting idea - 3-4 years ago I was hired to do some tracks for someone that was a take off on stomp. We had no trash can samples and had to create them ourself. They didn't come off too well but I have said ever since then I was going to create a stomp library. Now my hopes of creating such a library have faded because one day I needed another can and I used my stomp trash can. I'm too lazy to go buy another one, but this would still be a nice addition to GPO. But please, more than just trash cans!!

Other nice additions we asked Gary for when GPO first came out - audience noise. Man coughing on 4th row - attendant opening door for old lady who won't stop hacking... child screaming. Various farts in surround sound, from audience perspective please. 4 second false fire alarm that we could precisely place at the end of the 3rd movement. and of course actual player sounds - specifically the new percussionist who drops a pair of cymbs while trying to prepare for the big finish. I have some more... I'll have to think though about what all would be useful!!

that's all for now.

J-

Vibs played with a bow.
    We were just talking about this tonight! I happened to bring one of my violin bows with me and started bowing various percussion instruments.

Gary & his team did a pretty good initial job.
    Gary and his team did an awesome job! The percussion in GPO is what sold me. Our primary session tonight was on drum kit (set) first rock, then jazz kits. We were not satisfied and I think I was over tired.

Some nice suggestions and I am writing them all down. I can see how this could take some time developing.
    Styxx

J's comment about trash cans got me to thinking about the music of Lou Harrison, who passed away last year. Among his works is a large body of music for percussion ensemble, much of which uses "found object" instruments. Galvanized washtubs, flower pots, lengths of iron pipe, glass bottles, and the like. I don't know how many people would find a collection of such instruments useful, but I'd buy it!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum