• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sliders, Knobs, and Wheels

Share/Bookmark

Sliders, Knobs, and Wheels

After reading some posts where users wanted to have GPO volume transferred to keyboard pressure, I checked out all the possibilities on my keyboard (one of them anyway--an 88 key Peavey C8p which is a controller only, but what a controller).

The C8p has 3 wheels, 4 sliders and 4 buttons. I assigned wheel 3 to CC#1 and also slider ! to CC#1. Then I tried them both to see what differences there would be in "feel" as if I were using them with GPO.

As far as I am concerned, I like the slider best because it moves vertically and has a more controllable, harder push to it than the Mod Wheel which seems very touchy and moves in an arc.

I was glad I investigated my keyboard's ability to do this because now I think I have a better tool to work with once I install my new GPO on my new computer (when it arrives).

If any of you have an assignable slider on your keyboard, try it.

I don't know if Peavey makes this particular keyboard anymore, but it sure is a lifesaver as a controller. It also has 4 MIDI outs and 2 MIDI ins. I have never used its full capabilities because I didn't need to, but it has everything.

John

Re: Sliders, Knobs, and Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by JMCannon
    After reading some posts where users wanted to have GPO volume transferred to keyboard pressure, I checked out all the possibilities on my keyboard (one of them anyway--an 88 key Peavey C8p which is a controller only, but what a controller).

The C8p has 3 wheels, 4 sliders and 4 buttons. I assigned wheel 3 to CC#1 and also slider ! to CC#1. Then I tried them both to see what differences there would be in "feel" as if I were using them with GPO.

As far as I am concerned, I like the slider best because it moves vertically and has a more controllable, harder push to it than the Mod Wheel which seems very touchy and moves in an arc.

I was glad I investigated my keyboard's ability to do this because now I think I have a better tool to work with once I install my new GPO on my new computer (when it arrives).

If any of you have an assignable slider on your keyboard, try it.

I don't know if Peavey makes this particular keyboard anymore, but it sure is a lifesaver as a controller. It also has 4 MIDI outs and 2 MIDI ins. I have never used its full capabilities because I didn't need to, but it has everything.

John

John

This is interesting indeed. You have made me think about my own old controller a Roland JX 10 which has no mod wheel ! It does have 2 sliders though. Now I'm wondering about trying what you have.
    I have mentioned that it does have aftertouch but to what avail?
    So off I go to the sliders....midi is my one weak point so who knows.
    JAK

Go Back to forum