• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TenCrazy.com MFX Control Cascade: Mod Wheel + Pressure!

Share/Bookmark

TenCrazy.com MFX Control Cascade: Mod Wheel + Pressure!

Aftertouch vs Mod Wheel for volume control in GPO: which is better?

Bill Pearson (billp) proposed in the "Aftertouch v/s mod wheel control for velocity" thread:

Sounds to me like the solution is to have aftertouch generate incremental MOD values, but never to cause the MOD level to drop below the value set by the MOD wheel itself.
    Sounds like a plan... but I've taken the liberty to tweak things a bit more.

MFX Control Cascade allows you to have one CC (or channel pressure/aftertouch) modify another. Essentially, it uses one to "fill in" the remaining headroom of a CC up to its maximum (or percentage thereof). Now you can do those "physical" swells you've been craving!

For people with MFX-capable hosts, you can get it here!

Have fun,
    - m

Re: TenCrazy.com MFX Control Cascade: Mod Wheel + Pressure!

Nothing short of incredible. Thank you, Markleford!

brilliant! Man. Sometimes I wish I were using Sonar/Cubase on a PC just so I could use these midi plugins... (sigh)

Nice work..I can see how that would be very effective for playing parts and getting some performance feel added to the dynamics..
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Two regrets here...

1) Bill: It's unfortunate that there's no real way to apply key aftertouch to GPO, or I would make a version that allowed for that as well! (even though neither of my keyboards will do it)

2) Deewwwwwd! I wish there were a more generalized way to let everyone in on the midi-manipulation fun. As I've mentioned before, the only way I could really do it would be to write a stand-alone system with a virtual midi port driver, and I'm not quite up to that level yet!

Enjoy, those that can...

- m

[QUOTE=Markleford]
    2) Deewwwwwd! I wish there were a more generalized way to let everyone in on the midi-manipulation fun. As I've mentioned before, the only way I could really do it would be to write a stand-alone system with a virtual midi port driver, and I'm not quite up to that level yet! [QUOTE]

Actually I've been experimenting with using Plogue Bidule as a kind of midi 'front-end' for SONAR with a bunch of VST midi plugs and MidiYoke NT.

Thanks for your efforts! They are much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    Two regrets here...

1) Bill: It's unfortunate that there's no real way to apply key aftertouch to GPO, or I would make a version that allowed for that as well! (even though neither of my keyboards will do it)

2) Deewwwwwd! I wish there were a more generalized way to let everyone in on the midi-manipulation fun. As I've mentioned before, the only way I could really do it would be to write a stand-alone system with a virtual midi port driver, and I'm not quite up to that level yet!

Enjoy, those that can...

- m
    Well I'm going to try what you have created for sure . I use cubase but still vst32 ..hope that will work. I tried the mod wheel one last week but had no luck and had to reinstall cubase ! Unfortunately, as far advanced as YOU are in midi I am just the opposite. I've only had 12 years of midi so far hahaha so I need a little more time.

You never know re GPO and GOS . I have written to Gary about the aftertouch...maybe it will be possible.

Ne regrettez rien!

What you've done is great. I've been testing this and it's fantastic.

I realized in thinking about it that the key aftertouch values could be all over the map in a multi-voice situation (chord) and varying individually for each key pressed. The channel aftertouch is the more reasonable approach.

This was the key aftertouch fantasy:

Key Aftertouch: 0xAcnnpp

where 0xAc is the key aftertouch event--c is the channel number
    and nn is the note 60 (hex 3c) for middle C for example
    and pp is the pressure value 0-127

Program sees event, looks at pp.

If (pp > current mod value) {
    set current mod value to pp
    }

Now, I'm going to fire up my old DX7. I think aftertouch was implemented as CC03!

Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    Actually I've been experimenting with using Plogue Bidule as a kind of midi 'front-end' for SONAR with a bunch of VST midi plugs and MidiYoke NT.

Thanks for your efforts! They are much appreciated.
    How is Ploque Bidule? I've heard of that but I'm not sure how powerful it is. ??
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Markleford,

You never cease to amaze me. This is brilliant. Its great you are providing all these tools to help musicians have better performance controls for their music.

You mentioned about writing a stand-alone system with a virtual midi port driver. Jeff already has done this for GOS with Maple/MaestroTools. Maple is free and perhaps the Maple host can be a host for those who do not have MFX-compliant sequencers. Just a thought.

Thank you again for creating these incredible tools.

Gary Garritan

Wow... these are very cool plug-ins...

Thanks for all your hard work Markleford!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum