• Register
  • Help

Topic: Remote-Control GPO with VNC

Share/Bookmark

Remote-Control GPO with VNC

I just started using GPO heavily, on a little Shuttle XPC (2.6 GHz P4), which I built after discovering that my PowerBook G4 1GHz just wasn't going to deliver the goods with GPO and other softsynths running in DP4.12.

I've figured out a way to remote control the PC using VNC, so I never need to have a monitor or keyboard attached to it...I just connect an ethernet cable, boot it up and I can run it remotely from a window in my PowerBook! Unfortunately I haven't found any cross-platform MIDI-over-LAN software yet, so I still have to connect MIDI interfaces as well as audio, but the whole rig with both computers and all connections takes about 15 minutes to set up, or tear down and pack.

I'd be happy to post a short tutorial if others are interested in doing the same thing. I travel for a living, this allows me to carry an orchestra with me in my suitcase

Brian

PS, Gary - I sent you a copy of my MIDI Harp Gliss Clippings for DP4, along with instructions on their use, did you get it?

Re: Remote-Control GPO with VNC

My setup is nearly identical to yours! Though both machines are of a lower spec and I use Logic. I use an app called KMremoteControl to toggle between PC and Mouse, though my PC does have its own monitor.

I've found this to be a great way to save space AND repetetive motion (moving back and forth between keyboards and mices and such).

Remote control GPO. What a good idea! It would be terrific to have a short tutorial for people wishing to do this.

Dan H and Jeff were looking into making GPO-Over-LAN cross-platform so it just may happen (fingers crossed).

How do you like the Shuttle computer? Is it a reliable GPO machine?

Thanks for writing a tutorial on using the glissando harp MIDI packets in DP4and organizing the MIDI packets into MOTU Clipping files. I'll post this on the GPO-DP Page ASAP.

I appreciate your contribution and your help.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Remote control GPO. What a good idea! It would be terrific to have a short tutorial for people wishing to do this.

Dan H and Jeff were looking into making GPO-Over-LAN cross-platform so it just may happen (fingers crossed).

How do you like the Shuttle computer? Is it a reliable GPO machine?
    I'll cobble together a description and some links for how to do the VNC thing...it's all freeware readily available online.

There is a PC product called FX Teleport supposedly making its way to the Mac eventually that allows you to not only do MIDI over LAN but stream audio as well...thus you can eliminate the need for soundcards and MIDI interfaces completely, it just requires a gigibit ethernet connection on each machine.

The Shuttle XPC has been great for me - I went with a model called the SB61G2, which has the Intel 845 chipset, installed a 2.6GHz P4, 1.5 GB RAM (400MHz DDR), Steingberg VSL2020 soundcard (have some clocking issues with this card and my Mobile I/Os). It's pretty quiet due to the use of a heatpipe cooler for the CPU...I have a M-audio 2x2 USB MIDI interface + the VSL card has one MIDI port, for 48 channels...

Go Back to forum