• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Wagner

Share/Bookmark

Wagner

I just finished sequencing a version of "Isoldens Liebestod" from Tristan and Isolde, using GPO. This was just for practice dealing with big dense orchestrations, quite a challenge. As a guitar player my alto and tenor clef and E/F/A transposing chops are not that strong...great learning experience. Sequencing was done in DP4.12 on a PowerBook, GPO running in 4 instances of Kontakt hosted in V-Stack on a 2.6GHz P4 PC, Reverb is Amsterdam's Concertgebouw courtesy of Altiverb.

http://home.earthlink.net/~e7sharp9/

Brian
    Last edited by bmonroney; 06-21-2004 at 08:53 AM. Reason: bad link

Re: Wagner

Brilliant effort Bmon....must have been a heck of a lot of work! I think that emulating an existing master's work has got to be one of the best ways to learn GPO...... and orchestration to boot.

There are some superb moments in this.

Frank

Holy toledo!!

Makes we want to watch the Ring Cycle tonight!!

Great job.

OK.....how long did this take you?

I will bet you learned a lot about orchestral arranging by doing this. It sounds excellent!

Thanks for the kind words...yes, quite a bit of work involved, not sure how many hours, as I've kind of stitched it together over about three weeks whenever I had some spare time - I also had a few false starts while figuring out the best workflow. I got a bit burned-out on it towards the end - I hear plenty of balance, dynamics and tempo issues that I could still tweak...but it's time to apply what I've learned to my own music.

Isn't cool that we can do this with such relatively inexpensive and portable tools? Most of this piece was done in hotel rooms and a tour bus...

Brian

Thumbs up Re: Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by bmonroney
    I just finished sequencing a version of "Isoldens Liebestod" from Tristan and Isolde, using GPO. This was just for practice dealing with big dense orchestrations, quite a challenge. As a guitar player my alto and tenor clef and E/F/A transposing chops are not that strong...great learning experience. Sequencing was done in DP4.12 on a PowerBook, GPO running in 4 instances of Kontakt hosted in V-Stack on a 2.6GHz P4 PC, Reverb is Amsterdam's Concertgebouw courtesy of Altiverb.

http://home.earthlink.net/~e7sharp9/

Brian
    Brian,

Breathtaking! An excellent rendition of one of my favorite Wagner pieces. This masterpiece has had a great deal of influence and is studied in writing and orchestration classes. With a stable key being somewhat vague underlying interwoven and cascading themes, Wagner skillfully uses suspensions and delays that continuously postpone resolution. Wagner is the master of the musical tease.

This is an outstanding effort. It is hard to believe that most of this piece was done in hotel rooms and a tour bus.

Would you mind if this gets posted on the GPO demo page?

Thank you for sharing this. Looking forward to hearing more of your music.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: Wagner

Also my favorite. I analyzed this piece my second year in as a composition and theory major - after being introduced to the concept of "key cells", which as Gary mentioned are woven with unquestionable mastery.

This is a brilliant rendition. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Gary,

Of course you're welcome to use it on the website...given that, I'd like take another hour or two to refine some things...I'll let you know when I re-post it later this week.

I come from a background in jazz and popular music, got turned onto this piece when I saw the Tristan and Isolde Overture mentioned by a couple of film composers in a book of interviews I read about 3 years ago...I was on the road and picked up a recording of Loren Mazel and the Berlin Phil...brought me to tears...this piece was on there as well. The chromaticism in these works is astonishing given the date they were written. I never tire of them. Do you guys have any favorite recordings to recommend?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Also my favorite. I analyzed this piece my second year in as a composition and theory major - after being introduced to the concept of "key cells", which as Gary mentioned are woven with unquestionable mastery.
    Can you reccomend any good books that describe this theory of key cells?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Brian,
    Breathtaking! An excellent rendition of one of my favorite Wagner pieces.
    Gary Garritan
    Yeah, Just 'cos it's got a bit of harp in it!

Frank

BLEH! Some one beat me to Wagner

Good work I love Wagner I think to much heh. Nice rendition. There are so many gems to find in his music. Im always reminded of the old drawing of him pounding a (stake or nail?) into an ear.
    Nicole Davis

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast