• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: what ever happened to the new harp??

Share/Bookmark

what ever happened to the new harp??

I recall more than a year ago hearing Gary talk about a new harp collection he was going to do. Then I briefly remember seeing something on the site about it. What became of that????

J-

Re: what ever happened to the new harp??

J. Whaley,

"What ever happened to the new harp??" I got sidetracked with a project - namely GPO.

Two of the harps wound up in GPO. After I recorded and programmed the wire-strung harp, the composer for the Lord of the Rings video games liked it so much that they licensed it. I also recorded and programmed several of my other harps And other harps have yet to be sampled (I own 14 of these angelic instruments).

I hope to finish the "Heavenly Harps" collection of various harps from around the world. There are other projects that need to be finished first.

What do users think about a harp library? Is this something you would like to have soon? Or can heaven wait while we focus on Jazz/Big Band, Choir/Vocal and other libraries?

Gary Garritan

Well, I would love to see a harp collection, particularly as it would seem to be a natural for you to produce, but I am more in need of the Big Band and Vocal samples, so I'd have to say first things first and please finish those meals before adding another dessert to your plate!
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I'm badly in need of a brush kit, so if you could the Big Band add on, I'd appreciate it.
    Mark

I'm really looking forward to the Big Band library.

14 harps! Gary, you must spend all day tuning these instruments. Do have have an electric harp too? Does that sound different from an acoustic?

JT

I would love to see a harp library that includes some avante-garde special effects.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I'm indifferent. I'd like to see both Actually, I find the GPO harp very useful, and I really would love to see more vocal development - so yes. Go for the vocal libs!

J-

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    14 harps! Gary, you must spend all day tuning these instruments. Do have have an electric harp too? JT
    I think I remember someone saying that Gary invented the midi harp. Or was Harpo who invented the midi Gary.

Vocals and big band first please, then you can give us a whole herd of harps. Wait, who heard of harps? Did Dr. Who hear of harps? Here, here now whoÕs harping on Dr. WhoÕs harp? Oh no IÕve come down with the dread Styxx disease. Help!!!!!

I invented the MIDI harp back in the early 90s. There was an article in Electronic Musician - Harping on MIDI, July, 1995 about the MIDI harp (does anyone have issues going back that far?). The MIDI harp was basically a solid-body harp controller and each string had a piezo pickup which triggered a MIDI note. A MIDI pedal board shifted the various notes and emulated the pedals of the harp. It was fun to play this harp and making it sound like a tuba turned a few heads.

Gary Garritan

Karl - I'll get you those herd of harps - a sure cure for the dreaded Styxx disease.

I'd love to hear the wire-strung harp from LOTR G, do you have an mp3?
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum