• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Attention all right wingers you have been sprung

Talking Attention all right wingers you have been sprung

sponsored links

part of a blog by Tim Wise

captures my sentiment exactly

A threatened "[nss][nss][nss]-kicking" from an accountant?
    I don't know whether to be honored or to laugh.

Yesterday, a guy wrote me to say among other things that I deserved to have my "[nss][nss][nss] kicked," because of my writings, especially my recent article on Reagan and race, which he had somehow stumbled across. Threatening violence is the standard right-wing response to political analysis and argumentation. No need to think, or rebut specific factual information: just spew out some ad hominems, act big and bad, and then slink away into the safety of cyberspace.

He then apparently found my phone number and called me at home last night, around 11 pm, in an attempt (I suppose) to intimidate me. Just so happens, I have technology on my phone line just for these kinds of occasions, and it can detect phone numbers, even unlisted ones (which his isn't actually). When I told him I now had his number and would be turning it over to the proper authorities if he called again, he went silent and, well, hung up.

This morning I discovered that the individual in question (whose name I won't share here, but he knows who he is, and if he reads this he'll get the point), is an accountant/financial consultant from a litle town just outside of Macon, GA., who works for A.G. Edwards. I'm sure they'd be very glad to know they have an employee who is so volatile that he threatens people with different political views than himself.

It took about 3 minutes to learn this online, as well as the fact that he is an alum in good standing of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, and occasional writer of letters to the editor to the Macon, GA daily newspaper.

Never been threatened by a CPA before. It was really exciting, though a little disappointing. Frankly, construction workers are a bit more frightening.

My point in bringing all of this up is to ask a real question: what is it about right wingers that makes them send hostile e-mails and make threatening phone calls to people, just because they have views that differ from their own? I mean, there are lots of things I read online that piss me off. But I have never thought to myself, "hey, I think I'll write an angry string of slurs and send it to so-and-so's email, just to piss em off." And I surely would never dream of calling someone at their house just to give them [nss][nss][nss][nss] over something they wrote.

Is this merely evidence of emotional insecurity, or a deeper personality disorder? Is it because these kinds of folks were raised in authoritarian homes where dissent was seen as a threat and had to be punished harshly? Is it because of some intrinsic tendency to fascism on the part of certain conservatives, which views violence as a high value to be cultivated and nurtured and rewarded? I mean, what the hell is going on with some people?

I'd really like to know. Trying to figure out the psyches of certain Georgia-based financial consultants can be exhausting on one's own.

Re: Attention all right wingers you have been sprung

All I have to add is that the crap can fly both ways. This is a human flaw. Not exclusively a right wing one.

Actually, Rob, if we understand the "right" to be the Laissez-faire Capitalist side (since I'm often called right-wing, I must assume this is what they mean), we're actually some of the most anti-violence people you'll meet. It's Laissez-faire that holds that the initiation of force should be banished from all relationships. By contrast, it's those on the political "left" who seek to use force (law and government) to accomplish almost all of their aims.

I find it particularly interesting that so-called "Anarchists" (who are distinctly left-wing) are among some of the most violent activists around. Here they preach against the evils of all forms of authority, and then use force to get their way. Amazing.

It's not amazing at all. When people are backed into a corner they react. The left has no power. I, ofcourse, don't support violence or terrorism, unless it was me and you know who in the ring together. I do agree that Republicans tend to be meaner than other political groups, though. It's written into the code. Help others less, support war.

See? That's my point. The Right can list examples of violence from the Left; the Left can list examples of violence from the Right. There's no point in pointing a finger at which armpit is the smelliest - both need a good scrub.

The "left" has plenty of power, Nick. Heck, the Republican party itself is moving steadily toward the left in many areas every day.

Rob is right, you can point to examples on both "sides" (even though the right/left thing is really a poor scale). The thing that has to be done is to evaluate the philosophies and ideas behind each side. I know for one that my "side" (Laissez-faire) abhors the initiation of force in all forms. And I also know that many Anarchist groups believe that force is a perfectly legitimate means to get what you want. And indeed the "left" in general has the view that the government exists as a tool of "society" to achieve its aims through the implementation of law (force).

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    Heck, the Republican party itself is moving steadily toward the left in many areas every day.
    Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha haha hahah hah ha haha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    I do agree that Republicans tend to be meaner than other political groups, though. It's written into the code.
    I disagree dude.

Let's look at the obvious here. When someone is espousing a view that you strongly agree with, you tend to accept it as "passionate" or "heart-felt", like many of the statements that come from Franken and Moore. People who disagree with those ideas see it as mean.

In that sense, trying to assess who is "meaner" is largely semantical and cannot be proven one way or the other.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

Bill O’Reilly’s Final Solution

Bomb the living daylights out of them

By Thomas Wheeler

There he goes again. Here's what Bill O'Reilly had to say on his June 17 broadcast of The Radio Factor:

O'REILLY: Because look ... when 2 percent of the population feels that you're doing them a favor, just forget it, you're not going to win. You're not going to win. And I don't have any respect by and large for the Iraqi people at all. I have no respect for them. I think that they're a prehistoric group that is -- yeah, there's excuses.

Sure, they're terrorized, they've never known freedom, all of that. There's excuses. I understand. But I don't have to respect them because you know when you have Americans dying trying to you know institute some kind of democracy there, and 2 percent of the people appreciate it, you know, it's time to -- time to wise up.

And this teaches us a big lesson, that we cannot intervene in the Muslim world ever again. What we can do is bomb the living daylights out of them, just like we did in the Balkans. Just as we did in the Balkans. Bomb the living daylights out of them. But no more ground troops, no more hearts and minds, ain't going to work.

O'Reilly also declared the Iraqis are "just people who are primitive."

The Fox news host has a history of making racist remarks and advocating the mass murder of civilians. When four armed US mercenaries were killed in Fallujah, O’Reilly commented: “Problems continue for the U.S. Military in Fallujah. Why doesn't the U.S. Military just go ahead and level it?” He made it clear he doesn’t “care about the people of Fallujah” and that “we know what the final solution should be.” Apparently, the mass slaughter of hundreds of civilians in Fallujah by the US military just didn’t do it for O’Reilly.

O’Reilly’s bloodlust also extended to Afghanistan. A few days after 9/11 he declared “the U.S. should bomb the Afghan infrastructure to rubble—the airport, the power plants, their water facilities, and the roads” if the Afghan government did not extradite Osama bin Laden. O’Reilly continued: “This is a very primitive country. And taking out their ability to exist day to day will not be hard. Remember, the people of any country are ultimately responsible for the government they have. The Germans were responsible for Hitler. The Afghans are responsible for the Taliban. We should not target civilians. But if they don't rise up against this criminal government, they starve, period."

The Geneva Convention states that destroying infrastructure essential to the survival of civilian populations is a war crime and the “starvation of civilians as a method of warfare is prohibited.” Besides being an obvious racist, O’Reilly is an advocate of targeting and killing civilians (non-white folks, of course) that clearly constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity.

When the United States deliberately targeted and systematically destroyed Iraq’s water treatment facilities during the first Gulf War in order to create "favorable conditions for disease outbreaks, particularly in major urban areas" (according to a 1991 U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency document) and followed that with a deliberate policy of blocking humanitarian supplies to deny necessary repairs, medicines and medical equipment, Denis Halliday, former Deputy Under Secretary of the UN, declared the policy as “genocidal.” O’Reilly is openly advocating genocidal tactics to be used against civilians – proposals that would kill millions of civilians if they were carried out.

The virulent racism and fascist mindset of O’Reilly is also pervasive within the US military. The racist contempt of the Iraqis and blatant disregard for civilian lives by US troops in that country is disturbingly common. One need only look at the systematic torture at Abu Ghraib for confirmation, not to mention US troops murdering Iraqis by deliberately firing into crowds of unarmed protesters, dropping large bombs in urban neighborhoods, slaughtering wedding parties, engaging in collective punishment, house demolitions, kidnapping, torture, and firing into vehicles filled with civilians at military checkpoints. A number of American troops perceive Iraqis as “untermenschen” – the expression for "sub-humans".

To those who object and protest such actions, O’Reilly suggests you just “shut up” or you will be declared an “enemy of the state.” He made his feelings about dissent pretty clear shortly before the war started. On February 26, 2003 he said:

"Once the war against Saddam Hussein begins, we expect every American to support our military, and if you can't do that, just shut up. Americans, and indeed our foreign allies who actively work against our military once the war is underway, will be considered enemies of the state by me. Just fair warning to you, Barbara Streisand and others who see the world as you do. I don't want to demonize anyone, but anyone who hurts this country in a time like this, well. Let's just say you will be spotlighted."

You are either with us or against us. America über alles. Sound familiar?

Thomas Wheeler is a contributing editor to Alternative Press Review. He can be reached at thomasdwheeler@comcast.net

yeah violent stuff, we have these kind of people here to, its totally amazing how they than turn around and talk to you about values, familly values etc when its clear they are driven by mainly sexual repression and fear
    fascism is aligned with the right, most forms of violent political structures involve some kind of repression in fact founded on it, the repression is so effective that for the most part most are not aware of it, but just look at the world around us at the moment a big turn to the right and bang a big turn to intolerance bigotry and violence.

I rest my case, the right is prone to violence and repression {homophobia, ethnocentricity etc)on both the individual and the collective level, and once the violence starts, it seems, God is there to help them, sociological Authoritarian structures that promote denial of authentic self and fear are fertile soil for fascism, and the repressed rage the self feels at its own inauthenticity

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast