• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture SE and Tempo

Share/Bookmark

Overture SE and Tempo

I see how to change tempo by the measure, but are there any more subtle ways of adjusting tempo for say one note within a measure, to give a tenuto, for instance? And is it possible to produce a ritard with Overture SE, or is that something that I'll need to use a sequencer for (and that kind of defeats the purpose of doing something in Overture)?

Re: Overture SE and Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    I see how to change tempo by the measure, but are there any more subtle ways of adjusting tempo for say one note within a measure, to give a tenuto, for instance? And is it possible to produce a ritard with Overture SE, or is that something that I'll need to use a sequencer for (and that kind of defeats the purpose of doing something in Overture)?
    Hi, Gardibolt!

You can draw tempo fluctuations of all types in the graphic window--works like a charm!
    That will produce virtually all the effects you describe--even down to the single note.
    Also--fermatas have a playback function that works well.

You can also create a tenuto expression that controls tempo for one note (but you'll then have to create a non-printing expression to get back to the original tempo, or redefine the "a tempo" expression to return to your basic tempo). In the SE version, you'll have to overwrite an existing expression since SE doesn't allow saving of libraries.

As I work more with Overture, I am more impressed with its MIDI features and ability to play back with some style!!

Happy scoring...Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Hi, Gardibolt!

You can draw tempo fluctuations of all types in the graphic window--works like a charm!
    That will produce virtually all the effects you describe--even down to the single note.
    Also--fermatas have a playback function that works well.

You can also create a tenuto expression that controls tempo for one note (but you'll then have to create a non-printing expression to get back to the original tempo, or redefine the "a tempo" expression to return to your basic tempo). In the SE version, you'll have to overwrite an existing expression since SE doesn't allow saving of libraries.

As I work more with Overture, I am more impressed with its MIDI features and ability to play back with some style!!

Happy scoring...Jim W.
    Well, that's interesting. How do you make the fermatas affect playback? And how do you accomplish tempo changes in the graphic window (I'm assuming you mean the midi track graphic as opposed to the score)? Whenever I click on anything in the midi track graphic window it just dings at me and I've yet to be able to manipulate anything in that window. The documentation for all these really useful questions is seriously wanting in these programs--while the tutorial is pretty good for the score window, it doesn't help in the least on the midi track graphic window. Frustrating stuff....

Another thing that isn't responding for me are the hairpin crescendos and decrescendos. I've inserted them but nothing happens on playback. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Many thanks,
    Mark

Mark,

Select the objects that you want to affect playback, Click on the Edit menu and select "Enable Playback". You can just select all (Ctrl-A) if you want to be sure you have everything. Also, you need to make sure that under Options on GPO Studio the second option is selected under "Sustain/Sostenuto mode" (Midi CC). You get to the options menu by opening one of the players and selecting Options under the Load button.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Well, that's interesting. How do you make the fermatas affect playback?
    Insert a fermata where you want it. Double-click or right-click it. A window will appear asking you how many tenths of a second you'd like to hold the note. Every fermata can be programmed individually without affecting any others...that's really clever. Same for dynamics!

And how do you accomplish tempo changes in the graphic window (I'm assuming you mean the midi track graphic as opposed to the score)? Whenever I click on anything in the midi track graphic window it just dings at me and I've yet to be able to manipulate anything in that window.
    Go into the graphic window. In the leftmost dropdown you shouls get a number of choices: velocity, pitchbend, aftertouch, etc.

Select tempo and a tempo map will come up. Use the draw tool (the pencil) to draw in tempo fluctuation.

The documentation for all these really useful questions is seriously wanting in these programs--while the tutorial is pretty good for the score window, it doesn't help in the least on the midi track graphic window. Frustrating stuff....
    Yeah...the Ove SE online help is fair. I just started clicking & discovered a lot of this, plus I know what to look for from 15 years of using Finale!!

Another thing that isn't responding for me are the hairpin crescendos and decrescendos. I've inserted them but nothing happens on playback. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
    Same as above--they need to be defined for playback. The default is volume or velocity. Enter a dynamic or a hairpin. Double-click or roght-click it and a menu should appear. If you're using a modwheel instrument in GPO, define the dynamic to send modwheel (CC1) data. Again, every dynamic is individually definable, but if you're going to use constant assignments for each dynamic, just check the box "change all of this type" and all (say) mp will send CC1 value of 75 if you set it that way.

Try it out!!
    Jim

Many thanks,
    Mark
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Well, one out of five is a start.

Martin says: "Select the objects that you want to affect playback, Click on the Edit menu and select "Enable Playback". You can just select all (Ctrl-A) if you want to be sure you have everything. Also, you need to make sure that under Options on GPO Studio the second option is selected under "Sustain/Sostenuto mode" (Midi CC). You get to the options menu by opening one of the players and selecting Options under the Load button."

(a) Selected various things (and all just to check), Enabled playback, made no difference.
    (b) The Options were already on Midi CC.

Jim says: (1) Insert a fermata where you want it. Double-click or right-click it. A window will appear asking you how many tenths of a second you'd like to hold the note. Every fermata can be programmed individually without affecting any others...that's really clever. Same for dynamics!

Huh. Double-clicking and/or right clicking on fermatas does....nothing for me. Zippo.

(2) Go into the graphic window. In the leftmost dropdown you shouls get a number of choices: velocity, pitchbend, aftertouch, etc. Select tempo and a tempo map will come up. Use the draw tool (the pencil) to draw in tempo fluctuation.

Groovy. I did get this to work. That's one....

(3) Same as above--they need to be defined for playback. The default is volume or velocity. Enter a dynamic or a hairpin. Double-click or roght-click it and a menu should appear. If you're using a modwheel instrument in GPO, define the dynamic to send modwheel (CC1) data. Again, every dynamic is individually definable, but if you're going to use constant assignments for each dynamic, just check the box "change all of this type" and all (say) mp will send CC1 value of 75 if you set it that way.

I'm not using a modwheel instrument, just the internal soundcard synth. Nothing happens on a hairpin, whether I set it on velocity, volume, mod or expression. I can define dynamic signs and it responds, but on the hairpins it just sits there at a constant volume.

Frustrating. Thanks for the help thus far, and if you have any other ideas, please let me know. Are you using the Overture SE (which I am) or the full Overture? Maybe I'd have better luck with Finale, though I hate the idea of Yet Again starting over from scratch, since I'd just started to get proficient in entering notes into Overture....

I'm not using a modwheel instrument, just the internal soundcard synth. Nothing happens on a hairpin, whether I set it on velocity, volume, mod or expression. I can define dynamic signs and it responds, but on the hairpins it just sits there at a constant volume.

Frustrating. Thanks for the help thus far, and if you have any other ideas, please let me know. Are you using the Overture SE (which I am) or the full Overture? Maybe I'd have better luck with Finale, though I hate the idea of Yet Again starting over from scratch, since I'd just started to get proficient in entering notes into Overture....
    Mark, if you don't mind, send me a copy of the file you're working on and I'll see what I can do with it. Send it to jwilliams@franklincollege.edu

Do you have the latest SE update??

PS-Finale is a PITA with GPO compared to the combination of Overture and GPO. This from a Finale user of 15 yrs.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Mark,

As Jim said, make sure you have the most current version of Overture SE.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

By the way. If you attach a Fermata to a note, it does not affect playback. Only Fermatas that are free floating affect playback.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Insert a fermata where you want it. Double-click or right-click it. A window will appear asking you how many tenths of a second you'd like to hold the note. Every fermata can be programmed individually without affecting any others...that's really clever. Same for dynamics!

Go into the graphic window. In the leftmost dropdown you shouls get a number of choices: velocity, pitchbend, aftertouch, etc.

Select tempo and a tempo map will come up. Use the draw tool (the pencil) to draw in tempo fluctuation.

Yeah...the Ove SE online help is fair. I just started clicking & discovered a lot of this, plus I know what to look for from 15 years of using Finale!!

Same as above--they need to be defined for playback. The default is volume or velocity. Enter a dynamic or a hairpin. Double-click or roght-click it and a menu should appear. If you're using a modwheel instrument in GPO, define the dynamic to send modwheel (CC1) data. Again, every dynamic is individually definable, but if you're going to use constant assignments for each dynamic, just check the box "change all of this type" and all (say) mp will send CC1 value of 75 if you set it that way.

Try it out!!
    Jim

Many thanks,
    Mark

Ah! That explains why after tinkering around some would work and some wouldn't!! Jim has graciously looked at my Overture file, but I've not had a chance to examine it yet and will report back later.

Go Back to forum