• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Paul Allen's Impulse Project (hehehe)

Share/Bookmark

OT: Paul Allen's Impulse Project (hehehe)

Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, just privately launched a man into outter space. Gary and I were joking about how funny it would be to ask him to get us an impulse of 'space' the next time he sends someone up. I know how much most of the guys here are fixated on their HUGE halls... imagine the huge sound of your violin in space!

Anyway, more can be red about the trip here:
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0...est/index.html

And maybe next time we can ask them to take GPO up with them, we could be the first sample library in space!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: OT: Paul Allen's Impulse Project (hehehe)

LOL!

Well I don't really want to be the spoiler on this one, but let's just say that the phrase 'in space no-one can hear you scream' has a very solid underlying principle of physics which also unfortunately applies to violins!

Luckily for the violinist, in space, no one can hear you screech, either.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

In the Apr 1, 2000 edition of Electronic Musician, Larry the O did a review of "SANYIU SAMPLES Sounds of Silence" (http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_quick_picks_12/ )

The review of this $69.95 Sample CD wrote about a collection of "the finest collection of stillness recordings you have ever heard..."

Samples included the depths of the Chuscwiddn caverns in Wales, the barren windless Australian desert, museum after-hours, the requisite anechoic chamber, a unique abandoned yurt recorded deep inside Mongolia, and a bomb-shelter tone. The developer also inserted a tiny microphone into a hollow Italian peppertree seedpod and spent three months north of the Arctic Circle producing incredible ambiences from deep snowdrifts and even within the permafrost itself. There's also a series of files of digital silence of varying lengths, with loops "which alone makes this disc worth the price of admission".
    The developer also announced that there will be a volume 2 of Sounds of Silence, recorded and mastered entirely in 5.1 surround.

I am convinced that impulses of space would round out the collection quite nicely

I was talking with the editor of Electronic Musician at a party and asked him how many people people were fooled by the April Fool's joke. He mentioned that many people for months afterwards have continued to call asking where to buy "Sounds of Silence"

Gary Garritan

I remember the EM joke "Sounds of Silence" too, and remember thinking at the time that a number of people wouldn't think it was a joke.

In a way there're right. Even silent places are seldom truly 'silent' hence John Cage's 4'33".

I remember reading that ambient music pioneer Steve Roach made some recordings at various remote desert locales of what was silent at the time, but when in his 'quiet' studio enviroment he heard all kinds of interesting backround, and has used it in his pieces.

Now if I could just get an impulse from a mother's womb......

Quote Originally Posted by nexus

Now if I could just get an impulse from a mother's womb......
    that screams for a dirty joke... but I'll refrain )

Smile Re: OT: Paul Allen's Impulse Project (hehehe)

BINARY ZEROS -- the ultimate silence in the digital world!

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphal
    that screams for a dirty joke... but I'll refrain )
    Thank you !

Go Back to forum