• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3.. I want to be ready...

Share/Bookmark

GS3.. I want to be ready...

I am going to have my new machine tomorrow. PIV, 2.8 G, 2 G memory, two "virgin" HD and Windows XP. My old machine is PIII-713, 562 MB mem, Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Homestudio 2004, GS160 and W2000.
    I intend to use the old machine for internet, wordprocessing, etc., and planning to move my sequencer to the new GS3 machine C: drive, which would also would contain Windows XP, GS3 and my 2496 soundcard. My second drive would only hold samples.
    This is the way I should do it or would it be significantly better to connect the two machines Midi over LAN and leave GS3 alone on the new machine?

I know I am overly optimistic about getting ready tooooo early before GS3 is released, but since I passed 77 recently, I have to be rushing things a bit....

Thanks

Ted

Jon, if you read this, thanks for the idea about GS160! I always look for your comments and enjoy your bright outlook on life and your willingness to help others.

Ted

Re: GS3.. I want to be ready...

Hi Ted,

Hmmm. Sequencer on the new machine, or a two computer setup...

I think it depends on your way of working. If you expect to run tons of voices and GigaPulse mic/player positions in real-time, then keep them separate - especially if you're sequencer work is MIDI only. If you plan to run lots of audio in your sequencer, and use the effects in your sequencer, then move everything to the new computer. You'd have to bounce tracks more often, since you can't run as much polyphony, but you'd have more horsepower for the sequencer on the new box.

The other aspect is the simplicity of the system. *If* GS3 and the sequencer play nicely together, then it's easier with one machine. On the other hand, if they fight over resources, you may be spending more time troubleshooting than composing. But who knows with GS3? It's a bit of a pain in the rear to get MidiOverLAN working correctly and to get a KVM setup to run both computers, but it is known to work. Once you get things up, it works fine.

So, the bottom line is "it depends".

Let us know how you prefer your workflow: MIDI-only with lots of samples and Giga-effects, or audio and effects in the sequencer with less polyphony and not so much GigaPulse.

-Jon Fairhurst

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    I am going to have my new machine tomorrow. PIV, 2.8 G, 2 G memory, two "virgin" HD and Windows XP. My old machine is PIII-713, 562 MB mem, Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Homestudio 2004, GS160 and W2000.
    I intend to use the old machine for internet, wordprocessing, etc., and planning to move my sequencer to the new GS3 machine C: drive, which would also would contain Windows XP, GS3 and my 2496 soundcard. My second drive would only hold samples.
    This is the way I should do it or would it be significantly better to connect the two machines Midi over LAN and leave GS3 alone on the new machine?

I know I am overly optimistic about getting ready tooooo early before GS3 is released, but since I passed 77 recently, I have to be rushing things a bit....

Thanks

Ted

Jon, if you read this, thanks for the idea about GS160! I always look for your comments and enjoy your bright outlook on life and your willingness to help others.

Ted
    Ted,

You've got me by nine years, but if you have time to chat, let me know and we can exchange off line email addresses.

jamiha

Thanks Jon:
    Midi only, and only a basic orchestra with GOS Lite, I use Giga's equalizer and reverb on two chanels. Never use audio. With my old machine my polyphony was below 40 at the busyest parts. I certainly looking forward to use GigaPulse, nothing fancier now. I am toying with the idea of buying GPO, they assured me that it would run on this new computer when Giga is not loaded.
    So, this is it. Thanks again.

Ted

Jamiha:
    I sent you an e-mail "kid".

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    Thanks Jon:
    Midi only, and only a basic orchestra with GOS Lite, I use Giga's equalizer and reverb on two chanels. Never use audio. With my old machine my polyphony was below 40 at the busyest parts. I certainly looking forward to use GigaPulse, nothing fancier now. I am toying with the idea of buying GPO, they assured me that it would run on this new computer when Giga is not loaded.
    So, this is it. Thanks again.

Ted

Jamiha:
    I sent you an e-mail "kid".

Ted
    Trying to send to your new address. swbell DSL doesn't like the address.
    is the " . xx" correct as you sent it?

the kid

Go Back to forum